• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Book Recommendations for young children?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
My nephew just turned 5. My sister wants to read books to him, 1 chapter a night. She doesn't want picture books, she wants it a little more mature than that.

Do you have any recommendations? I heard the Boxcar Children series was really good.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Whoever said picture books aren't mature? I've seen some truly amazing and emotionally deep picture books in my time. With such strong messages and beautiful art. You just need to find the right picture book. I could recommend some amazing ones that are in no way immature at all. Hell I've read some picture books that as an adult, almost brought me to tears.

If he does want something else though how about the Chronicles of Narnia series? He won't understand everything in them at age 5, but he can grow with them and learn more as he gets older then more of them will make sense to him.

When I was young I really loved the Deltora Quest book series. They are a great fantasy series aimed at younger kids, with short chapters, larger font etc. Reading those to him could be fun.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Whoever said picture books aren't mature? I've seen some truly amazing and emotionally deep picture books in my time. With such strong messages and beautiful art. You just need to find the right picture book. I could recommend some amazing ones that are in no way immature at all. Hell I've read some picture books that as an adult, almost brought me to tears.
Perhaps mature was the wrong word to use. Let's put it this way: My sister has a Nook and wants to read from that, instead of a picture book.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Oh okay. I know nothing about nooks so I don't know if you can read picture books on them or not. If you can't that would be a shame.

I would recommend Roald Dahl books as well. Some of his stories are amazing. I grew up reading those and still love reading them now.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
She has the small Nook that is black and white, so her nook isn't very good for reading picture books on it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Okay well I still stand by all the other recommendations then. Deltora Quest, Roald Dahl, Narnia etc.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Yeah, I'll definitely check those out and see what she thinks he will like.

I've also heard My Father's Dragon (I think is the name of the book) is also very good.