Book Genre

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Samm, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Samm

Samm New Member

Whats your favorite type of book? I love mystery and thrillers, can anyone recommend a good mystery novel?

2. randomthoughts1

randomthoughts1 New Member

I too love a good mystery as well as family drama and the occasional piece of chick lit. JD Robb (Nora Roberts) writes a great series called ... In Death. What type of mysteries do you typically lean towards? I could probably reccomend a few others! Look forward to talking with you!

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Hmm, I like suspense fiction such as Michael Crichton stuff. :)

4. Calypso

Calypso New Member

Hmmm...if you haven't already, you might want to check out Jonathan Kellerman and Keith Ablow. They both write psychological thrillers/mysteries.

Another amazing author is Andrew Vachss...kind of hard to classify, but there's usually a thread of mystery running through his books. I'd recommend "Flood" or "Strega," to start out with--those are the first two books in his series about Burke, a con man and thief with a deep hatred for those who prey on children.

5. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Sci-Fi, War, historical, comedy, ect.

6. randomthoughts1

randomthoughts1 New Member

These are some great suggestions! Is the author Keith Ablow the same man that now has his own daytime talk show...a phsychiatrist of some sort?

7. Calypso

Calypso New Member

Yeah, that's him. It's funny, I've seen his talk show and he's kind of soft-spoken and dorky, but his novels are very hard-bitten. The psychiatrist he's created as his main character, Frank Clevenger, is very much a wounded hero--brilliant in his profession, but hard core addicted to alcohol and cocaine. And the storylines he comes up with will give you serious creeps.

8. debrajean

debrajean New Member

I read Ablow's book Denial and yeh it was pretty gritty and hard-edged. But, it made for a real page-turner.