• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Bono Apologises

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Early last month when iOS8 came out Apple & U2 gave users of Apple devices a present, a free pre-release version of their latest album. This has sparked a certain amount (I say that because I don't have any facts or figures) of controversy from people who had it come into their iDevices without being told.

It seems there are two camps of people:

1 - a group of people who dislike their devices having U2 on them
2 - a group of people having things placed onto their device without giving permission

I fall into group 2. I don't overly dislike U2, I know some do and my word, the South Park episode with Bono is just hilarious but I don't hate them, the stuff they did in the 80's was wonderful, no what I hate is that Apple decided I wanted this and placed it in for me without even asking me.

Bono has now apologised:

U2 frontman Bono has said sorry after their latest album was automatically added to the libraries of all iTunes users around the world.

Speaking in a session on Facebook, the star said the move was a "drop of megalomania, [a] touch of generosity".

In response to a questioner who told him it was "rude" to impose their music upon everyone, Bono said: "Oops, I'm sorry about that."

Apple later released a one-click tool enabling iTunes customers to remove it.

Some users complained that the 11-track Songs of Innocence had been added to their music library without permission and that it was not clear how to delete it.

Iggy Pop criticised the band for "giving away music before it can flop, in an effort to stay huge".

Link
The thing is though is I don't think U2 should be even having to apologise for this, it was Apple and Tim Cook that did this not Bono and for Bono and U2 to be getting so much hate just for signing a contract is just dumb to me.

How do you feel though?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I agree with you 100%, but I actually still like U2. The 80's stuff was just amazing. I agree Apple and Tim Cook are more to blame than anyone here, although I appreciate Bono's effort at apologizing.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I'm not a user of iTunes or for that matter portable brain-substitutes... er I mean devices. But I don't think any form of computer should allow arbitrary uploading from outside parties of anything, ever. If people want something, they can go get it for themselves. To just drop commercial or promotional products into a persons personal property (computer) is to treat the consumer public as stupid sheep that need to be led by the nose to what they should like, use, watch, or listen to. It's disgusting and I think it's really Apple that owes the apology and should offer an app which makes it impossible for the device to accept unsolicited materials from any source. Watch how many downloads that will get and understand what message that sends.

- Chameleon

dDave

V.I.P.
It didn't actually add the music to your library, it only credited it to your account, I don't see the problem. I haven't downloaded it yet but the album does show up as purchased. I do intend to download it.

Why are people mad at U2? Because it has their name on it.

I don't think this was wrong though. They're giving you FREE music that you can choose to listen to if you want, get over it. Apple does not need your authorization to give you free things unless it's considered to be explicit or otherwise inappropriate.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
You are correct dave, they didn't physically place it onto your device, when I saw it it showed as an album that could be downloaded however I don't think Apple should be able to just put things on physically or not. It is one thing for things like Podcasts to be picked up auto because I have told it to but I don't like items being added onto my account in any way without my prior consent.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I was just going by the OP. If it's just a credit, I don't see the problem, but if it's the actual music then I do. Not that I have an issue with U2, they're one of my favourite bands. It's the principle of the thing. :)

- Cham

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Its not cool and it creates personal issues. It sends the message that anybody that likes Apple likes U2. As for me I never listen to U2 and I dont wanna be associated with that band so why should I be stuck with that label?

1. You bought an Apple product.
2. You purchased the new U2 album.
3. You must be a U2 fan.

Imo it was a huge mistake. Before it was just Apple that people were buying but now its Apple-U2. That dude was forced to apologize so its obviously having negative effects on Apples business.
So maybe we are lucky it wasnt the North Korean Marching Bands new album lol.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
OMG! Not free music! Heaven forbid. People are actually complaining that they got free music?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
OMG! Not free music! Heaven forbid. People are actually complaining that they got free music?
You say that now, but you'll feel differently the day you turn on your iPod to find it jammed fulla stuff like "A William Shatner Christmas!" and "David Hasslehoff's Greatest Hits".

- Chameleon

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
You say that now, but you'll feel differently the day you turn on your iPod to find it jammed fulla stuff like "A William Shatner Christmas!" and "David Hasslehoff's Greatest Hits".

- Chameleon
William Shatner did a Christmas album?! WANT! Also Cham, sorry but how can you say anything bad about the man that brought us this Jump in my Car?