Bolton: U.N. official's criticism of U.S. a 'grave mistake'

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Kazmarov, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Source

While I find the comments that Brown makes to be somewhat pointed, I think that he is being disciplined for voicing a logical and realistic interpretation of the relationship of the UN and the U.S-namely that the population of the U.S is rather cold towards the UN and its policies because the administration (and then the media) does little to support the efforts of the UN, particularly in Iraq and Iran, which are places where the UN and the U.S need to cooperate. What are your thoughts?

2. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

I think by criticizing his own country he wasn't doing the job that he was put in place to do, so it's understandable that those who put him in power would be upset. However, I think it was a very bold and important thing for him to do, because what he said was a relevent issue that has only been hushed up in the name of keeping things calm.

3. Kazmarov

I agree. The language he used to express his opinion was of poor judgement, but his opinion is entirely valid.

4. Mecha

Mecha Guest

If you've seen the edits he tried to push through to the UN reform, (which was why he was nominated when he was) you know the man does not have a decent bone in his body. Not only that, his actions derailed the almost complete process. And thats ignoring the well recorded (short of audio/video) of his infantile behavior...

The biggest reason against there being a god, in my eyes sometimes, is that when certain people like that say things like that.

~Mecha

5. Rhoades

Rhoades Guest

Why are we still in the UN again? Waste of tax dollars IMO. Frankly, I'm a little tired of the US dealing with such a corrupt organization (Not that the US government isn't corrupt, because it most definitely is). But the fact that these international organizations tries to deal with our internal affairs and destroy our sovereignty?(http://www.thenewamerican.com/artman/publish/article_3680.shtml) Along with UN programs such as Agenda 21(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agenda_21)That just is not right.

6. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

To start with, the US is one of the five founding nations of the UN... it's our creation. Additionally, the idea of the UN is to facilitate international peace and security, and as one of the most (if not THE most) powerful nations in the world, it is our responsibility to partake in this global effort.

Here's a quote from the article you linked to:
    What, the international organizations such as the Taiwan-based Taipei Times? I hardly think that's comparable to the UN.

Here's a quote from the wiki you linked to:
    That sounds SO TERRIBLE doesn't it? Seriously, what's wrong with it? It's saying "let's make the world a better, cleaner, safer, and healthier place through science and education."

7. Kazmarov

Agenda 21, as stated in the article you cite, is completely voluntary among member states. I find it to use the term "destroy our sovereignty" to be excessive.

A lot of the U.S's internal affairs tend to become international affairs (i.e CIA, NSA, corporate policy, environmental views), so I find the UN being involved in them to be valid.