Bogus Forms Of Psychotherapy

Most psychotherapists are proponents of forms of talk therapy that are legitimate and have been proven effective over the years, such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).

However, there are a small percentage of therapists who get overly excited over forms of therapy that turn out to be bogus.

Take Solution Oriented Brief Therapy (SOBT) as an example.

Solution Oriented Brief Therapists believe that in just 3-6 half hour therapy sessions, you can overcome serious types of mental illness, such as depression. They think that by doing things which are fun, such as hobbies or hanging out with your friends, you can defeat being depressed, even severely depressed! SOBT therapists will ask their depressed patients, "If your depression suddenly lifted and you were feeling good emotionally, what activities would you be doing right now that you're currently not doing?" Then they'll say, "Force yourself to do at least one of those things."

Actually, that can be good advice for a depressed individual. However, being more active all by itself is not enough to overcome serious depression. Their's more to defeating mental illness than that. I mean, if you've had one or more traumatic experiences in your life, you're not going to get over it just like that because you've decided that from now on you're going to go bowling with your friends three times per week. This is especially true when you consider that many depressed people don't enjoy doing activities that they'd normally enjoy.

I mean, come on, it's not that simple and easy when it comes to beating mental illness!

Impaired

Registered Member
The problem is, the human mind can heal itself and sometimes, even bogus therapy can work, because the person believes it will work and their mind follows.

This is why SOME people who take placebos get better.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I doubt clinical depression can be overcome in 3 to 6 half hour sessions. That is a serious mental illness. I doubt they would jump right into hobbies. If just a few sessions does help the persons source of depression was probably boredom and loneliness.