• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Bob McDonnell guilty of corruption

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Good news, everyone! The former Virginia governor, Bob McDonnell, was found guilty of corruption. His wife was also found guilty. Between them, they accepted $177,000 of gifts and loans from a businessman in exchange for official acts.

Gifts included a Rolex watch

rides in a Ferrari

as well as vacations, $20,000 shopping sprees for the wife, golf clubs, and more.

McDonnell had declined a plea deal in which he would have been guilty of one felony and his wife would not have been charged. Instead, he chose to go to trial and he was found guilty of 11 felony counts of corruption, while his wife was found guilty of eight.

Ex-Va. governor Robert McDonnell guilty of 11 counts of corruption - The Washington Post

Check out his campaign ad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5wl06Qzbrc

Just a great family man with traditional Christian values. Or so it appeared back then. That same guy tried to throw his wife under the bus in his defense.

McDonnell was thought to be one of the front-runners to be Mitt Romney's running mate in 2012, and a possible candidate for President in 2016.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Glad he was caught and convicted. We don't need politicians like that. Now if they actually go to prison maybe it will send a message to all the rest of them that are thinking about taking these so called gifts.

I bet they wish they had taken the plea deal.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Now if they actually go to prison maybe it will send a message to all the rest of them that are thinking about taking these so called gifts.
Somehow I doubt that. Four of the last seven Governors of Illinois have gone to prison. It doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent. :lol:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Somehow I doubt that. Four of the last seven Governors of Illinois have gone to prison. It doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent. :lol:
Just shows you how wide spread corruption really is. You know they don't catch them all either. How do these people fool everyone so easily.

Kind of scary when you think about the countries where corruption runs deep and extreme. They are usually shit holes. I don't want to see us like that.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Four?! Wow. Must be what happens when you get elected by the mob haha

It seems you hear very day about something like this. Or someone who got into office and is suddenly, and unexplainably worth millions. Or opposing gun rights while trying to illegally sell guns terrorists. Or screaming about tax cheats while cheating on their own taxes. Etc, etc, etc. and they do it in every country seemingly no matter what part of the political spectrum they come from. I'd like to say I have faith that some politicians are actually decent people but that hope is suppressed more everyday. Power corrupts.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Four?! Wow. Must be what happens when you get elected by the mob haha
No, but really, that must be what happens when you get elected by the mob.

Here's the way I see it. The people of Illinois (in general) just suck at choosing their politicians. :lol:

He was a potential presidential candidate? Good thing this came out now instead of later. Imagine if something like this were to come out half way through the primaries.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Here's the way I see it. The people of Illinois (in general) just suck at choosing their politicians. :lol:
OR we're just better at catching their crimes here. ;)

Or there just aren't any good politicians to choose from. :(

Seriously though, this kind of corruption is probably rampant at all levels of politics in every state, or like Van said, every country. Just think about how many of them get away with it. If every corrupt politician got caught, or even a decent percentage of them, then it wouldn't be worth the risk and nobody would do it anymore. That leads me to believe that only a small fraction of the corruption is ever exposed.

He was a potential presidential candidate? Good thing this came out now instead of later. Imagine if something like this were to come out half way through the primaries.
Yeah. According to various things I've read, he was considered the future of the Republican Party. Then again, so was Chris Christie at one point. :lol:

We're all doomed.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
This is why i hate politics and politicians. these people are supposed to run our country. Meanwhile they're taking bribes from people. Meanwhile they're only interested in padding their pocket.

Their campaigns should be what makes th is obvious. In my time alive, i've never seen a candidates ad thaat wasn't focused on attacking the other candidates. they no longer try to sell themselves, they just try to unsell everyone else. I feel horrible voting because none of the candidates have spent any time explaining their own merits.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Danny, did you watch this guy's campaign ad that I posted in the OP? Here it is again...

Bob McDonnell for Governor 2009 Ad-"Leadership" - YouTube

It's not too hard for anyone with a little bit of charisma to sell themselves in a positive light to voters, no matter how insincere it is. People vote for that crap, just like with Sarah Palin and the whole "hockey mom" image that she tried to portray.

You're right though, most campaign ads are attack ads because they have been proven to be the most effective, unfortunately.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
its weird , because i love an ad where a candidate focuses on themselves and what they can do. That ad though was fake beyond the definition of fake. I felt sick as i watched it b ecause of how fake it was.he screamed 'I staged this!!!!!!'
stupid fucker.

i remember during the last national election for prime minister. I watched teh candidate debate. ALl of them, everytime they were asked a question, thye never fucking answered. "what would you do in this situation" and they'd answer "my oppenents would do this in that situation"
i was laughing my ass off the whole time, because they NEVER talked about themselves no maztter the question.