Bob Marley

Discussion in 'Music' started by Impact, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I was having a conversation with Iris the other day about how we think Bob Marley is highly overrated. Sure, he made some good music and I like a few of his songs, but I really don't think his stuff was that great like a lot of people seem to rave on about. What do you guys think?

In saying that, I really like Three Little Birds. I'd post a video but I don't have sound to check it's the right one :D

What are some of your favourite songs by him?

2. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

Jammin', No Woman No Cry, One Love, and Redemption Song to name a few.

I love his music, very mellow.

Impact likes this.
  3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Well it's easy for you to say he's overrated because you don't really like him. I personally believe he's made some good music, but he's also an icon to a lot of people which is why he gets talked about so much.

It's relaxing music in my opinion.

My favorite songs are the same as Twitch and a few others that are not on the radio all that often.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

5. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

Bob Marley is a decent enough musician. I love "I shot the sheriff" (or Clapton's Cover actually :lol:). But he is pretty good.

Bob Marley has actually been inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame (I know, I've been there). Just adding

Impact likes this.
  6. Impact

Redemption Song is another I really like

Did you not read what I said? I said I really like a few of his songs, but I think a lot of his songs are overrated. I didn't say I don't like him. And no, I'm not one of those people who has listened to 3 songs by him, my ex used to be obsessed by him so i've listened to pretty much his entire discography. And it's not that I don't like the genre either, I think there are plenty of other musicians within the genre who's music is way better but don't get half the recognition.

Babe_Ruth likes this.
  7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Yes I did read what you said, and that's why I said "you don't really like him" instead of saying "you don't like him"

I never suggested that you haven't listened to a lot of his songs.

It's the same thing when people say Michael Jackson was overrated, people that cannot stand is music will say things like that when in the end it's pure non-sense. Not trying to say that your thread is non-sense, but I'm just trying to say that's easier for you to say he's overrated because you don't really appreciate his music.

Also he's loved more than just his music.

Impact likes this.
  8. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

A lot of people like Bob Marley for more than his music. He's also known as a modern philosopher in many circles. I love a quote of his, "Money doesn't buy life."

9. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

I really dig a lot of his tunes, and appreciate him for making Reggae as popular as it was, that sort of paved way for some reggae acts to come.

I don't like when people call anyone over-rated, it's like saying that they're terrible, which is not the case, but it's the vibe I get when someone says that.

10. Impact

I'm definitely not saying he's terrible, i'm just saying I don't think a lot of his music isn't as great as it is made out to be, doesn't live up to the hype around it, that kinda thing.