Board or Ski?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by dDave, Mar 26, 2010.

?

What do you prefer?

1. Prefer Skiing (tried both)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Prefer Snowboarding (tried both)

60.0%
  3. Only Skiied

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Only Snowboarded

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never done either one

40.0%
  1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I'll bet that here at GF there are a lot of people that have been to the mountains for snowboarding and skiing.

Doesn't matter where you go, it all has the same feel and riding style throughout the world.

If you've tried both of them which one do you prefer?

If you've tried one, would you like to try the other?

If you haven't tried either one, which one would you like to try the most?

I started out as a skier, did it like 4 days in all, it was a blast. But then I tried snowboarding, I have to say, I liked it a lot more than skiing (probably done it 15 days total). I find that skiing is actually much easier, but boarding has a lot loser feel to it, which I liked a lot. I enjoy the challenge of Boarding a lot.

Skiing and Boarding are tons of fun and if you've never tried either one, I'd encourage you to do so.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I've never done either one. I think I'd rather ski though. There just something more appealing about facing forwards while flying down the mountain. I like having two feet that move independently of one another. Plus you get poles. And it looks cooler.

Some of this stuff is awesome...

YouTube - Extreme Skiing

3. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Well, I can't remember doing either, but apparently I have been skiing when I was quite young. I always thought snowboarding looked the cooler of the two, and seemed a lot safer to me...dunno if it actually is but having feet on separate skis always freaked me out. I'm actually getting snowboarding lessons from a hot snowboarder I met over the weekend when snow season comes. Guess that's the one thing about winter to look forward to.

4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

:lol: by looks cooler do you mean it looks awesome that they're going vertical down a mountain? There are very few people in the world that can do stuff even close to what was in that video. That's a slope that is somewhere very close to the very best of the double black diamond difficulties.
    Alpine skiing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (this covers the different difficulties)

But yeah I do find skiing to be quite a bit easier, boarding is a lot more of a challenge for me, like I said before. There are a lot more things that you naturally do wrong like not keeping your back leg straight, not using both edges, and even not facing straight down the mountain like you're supposed to.

I definitely find snowboarding boots to be a lot more comfortable, ski boots are just terrible, they're locked in a weird position that is very awkward to walk around in and they're not something that you can just take off all the time.

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I just think the act of skiing looks cooler than snowboarding. Snowboarding is more like skateboarding or surfing.

6. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

I've tried both, and I definitely like snowboarding more.

They aren't particularly fun for me, but I'd rather snowboard.

7. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I've never done either one, but I really want to try snowboarding. Not much opportunity for that around where I live, though.

8. Silhouet

Silhouet Registered Member

I've only tried skiing.. and i'm not good at it.. midway down the hill I fell an my ski fell off, not a fun time