• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Blue Valentine

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I saw Blue Valentine yesterday. I'm pretty sure I would not have chosen to see this but a friend of mine invited me so I went to see it with her, and I still can't say whether I'm glad I saw it. It was very well done, the acting was excellent, but it was so raw and heartbreaking. It's the story of a couple at the end of their marriage, with flashback clips of how they fell in love and got married.

It was very good but I honestly can't say whether I'd recommend it. Has anyone else seen it?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I haven't seen it but I want to. I'm on a quest to see all of the Oscar nominations for Best Picture and so far I have seen 6 of the 10 nominated. I must say I'm not totally excited for Blue Valentine but I see every film with an open mind so I'll certainly give it a go.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
it was good, definitely. It was just heart-wrenching. The acting was excellent, though.

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
Puck was just telling me about this last night. She went to see it also - she had specifically said I would not like it, and I'm not one to disagree.

However, judging from the intelligent Youtube comments on one of the trailer's I watched last night it's not a chick flick, but filled with borderline morbid themes. It's something I would consider watching, but I'm not rushing it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I haven't seen it either, but I heard Michelle Williams was terrific in this movie and she has a big chance to winning Best Actress for her performance at the Academy Awards. I'm not sure whether I'll see this movie or not, if I do happen to go watch it then it will have to wait till it comes out on DVD. It's not something I would go watch in the movie theaters.

Puck

Registered Member
Puck was just telling me about this last night. She went to see it also - she had specifically said I would not like it, and I'm not one to disagree.

However, judging from the intelligent Youtube comments on one of the trailer's I watched last night it's not a chick flick, but filled with borderline morbid themes. It's something I would consider watching, but I'm not rushing it.
Not really a chick flick, no.

It's not that it's bad either. Actually, the acting was brilliant. I guess I had my hopes set too high because I've known about the movie for so long and expected a lot more. There are very few people I know that I would recommend this movie to, just because it's geared toward specific people. Not everyone will enjoy it, mainly for it's raw material as Jeanie mentioned.
Overall though, I am glad I saw it. I love Michelle Williams and Ryan Gossling, so I can't complain.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
imdb classified it as Drama and Romance. I guess it was romantic in the flashbacks, but that classification is definitely misleading. I just wanted to watch a nice little movie to kill time on a school night. I didn't know about this movie until I saw this thread.

Talk about a depressing movie. haha I was moved by it. I think i could definitely see it again.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Certainly not a cure for the sunday blues :lol: I thought it was awesome, I'm really getting a liking for Gosling after watching Drive. Blue Valentine is very intense and not exactly an easy watch but it certainly grabs your attention and you really feel for the characters.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I'm wondering... could this be considered a more dramatic or serious version of that movie The Break Up with Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston? If so, I might consider seeing it.