• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Blue Jays sign Navarro?

willge87

Registered Member
Ken Rosenthal is reporting this on his twitter account, a two-year deal pending a physical. He goes on to say that the Jays would probably trade JPA (good luck with that) because Thole is needed in order to catch R.A Dickey. A 2.0 WAR in 2013 so that is decent, but he hasn't caught anymore than 89 games since 2009. We'd be relying on him for more games than that I think.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
It's actually official as Jon Heyman reported it. The blue jays signed him for 2 years at four million per. I'll add a bit more when I head on break.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Not a huge fan of the signing - obviously he's a better option than Arencibia, but I thought they would get someone that can actually make a differece behind the plate. Oh wait, we had that in D'Arnaud. Anyway, I digress. I do hope this means it's the end of JPA in Toronto, though.

StroShow

V.I.P.
Anything is better than JP Arencibia behind the plate but available catchers must be like gold in the majors if Navarro is the best Anthopolous can do. Hopefully AJ Jimenez is the real deal because I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with mediocre catchers.

Dioner Navarro isn't going to be the second coming of Pudge Rodriguez but he is a definite upgrade on Arencibia who seemed to have no interest in providing major league at bats.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Col. Aaron Awesome said:
Dioner Navarro isn't going to be the second coming of Pudge Rodriguez but he is a definite upgrade on Arencibia who seemed to have no interest in providing major league at bats.
This.

Navarro is a baby step in the right direction of finally getting a good catcher in Toronto.

StroShow

V.I.P.
See that's kinda infuriating to me. Navarro ain't good but fans are happy because he's better than Arencibia. I won't lie, happy JPA is no longer a Toronto Blue Jays, but getting rid of him for an average defender and mediocre hitter isn't much of an upgrade. Hell, he's never played more than 89 games in a season.

SoberJaysFan

He's not necessarily the only catcher AA picks up this winter. It's a good start, because it at least gets rid of JP early in the winter and the focus can shift to the pitching. I can see the Jays ending up with another Navarro type catcher (maybe with weaker bat and better glove) to split the season with. The fact that this dude crushed lefties last year means he's maybe more of a replacement for Rajai/DeRosa in the lineup. But fuck, if it's Navarro and Thole going into Sping... I'm still happy.

StroShow

V.I.P.
I'm not sure they'll look into acquiring another catcher, and here's why: 1) they're paying Navarro 4 million dollars, no way they have two four million dollar players as bench players(Izturis). 2) Thole needs to stay as he needs to be Dickey's personal catcher every fifth day.