Bloodtype dieting

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Dolphino, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Dolphino

Dolphino Registered Member

I have recently heard about this phenomenon called bloodtype dieting, a hypothesis by Dr. D'Adamo.

It's basically saying that what we thrive from, foodwise, is decided by our bloodtype. In general (very broad terms) it goes something like this.. (the examples are just some of them, you would have to look into it to see all the products for your bloodtype)

O-type: Hunter, thrives on intense physical motion and animal protein.
    Good food: Red meat. Lamb. Broccoli. Neutral: Turkey. Chicken. Bad: Pork. Bacon. Turtle (whaat?).

A-type: Gatherer, benefits from a more vegetable orientated diet.
    Good food: Soya products. Vegetables. Pineapple. Neutral food: Turkey. Chicken. Eggs. Bad food: Meat. Diary products. Beans.

B-type: Nomad, a more robust diet.

As I have understood it, the best diet for our bloodtype is to mix 'good food' (which are supposed to have some healthy benefits) and 'neutral food'.
    Most of this information is from the book 'Bloodtype dieting' by Dr. D'Adamo.

Honestly, I am a bit confused with it all. Just wondered if anyone has tried living on this bloodtype diet, and if so, what kind of results have you experienced? Would be especially interesting to hear of any sport benefits or similar experiences.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

It's the first time I heard of such thing but I'm not really updated on latest diets/fads. Where did you first hear this?

I have an 0 blood type so I naturally focused on this. I also had the same reaction for the turtle...whaaat? :hah:

3. Dolphino

Well, I first heard of this through a friend of mine which is very very health orientated (even more than me), but I have to admit I found the whole idea quite fascinating. Talking about the idea of optimizing performance and energy levels through proper dieting.

I also got an O blood type, and when talking to him he said something quite interesting: 'your body will generally develop a -I don't like- type of attitude towards foods that are found in the bad food category for your bloodtype' And later when I went through the list I quickly realized that it was something in this, as a number of the products listed I had a natural apprehension for (i.e. whole-milk, couscous and oranges)

Just some quick points I remember:
    Blood type O got a high acidic level in the intestine, and therefore acidic fruits are not good for us. However, blueish fruits are all good for O type, as they provide an alkaline reaction, and as a result the balance is restored. Inhibiting ulcers and stomach mucusal irritation. Don't have the book here (my friend got it, but there's a better physiological description of this, and how our digestion/absorption are best utilized)

I'll get my hands on the book, and get back to you, but just to finish off I remember most of the foods which were REALLY GOOD (in terms of weightloss and positive effects) and REALLY BAD (in terms of weightgain and negative effects)

Really good (stimulates weightloss ++):
    Seaweed, seafood - contains jod-salt, which increases the hormone production in the thyroid. 'The thyroid controls how quickly the body burns energy, makes proteins, and how sensitive the body should be to other hormones.' (wiki)
    Liver, calf - source to B-vitamins, strenghtens the metabolism.
    Red meat, spinach and broccoli - strenghtens the metabolism.

Really bad (stimulates weightgain ++):
    Gluten, corn - disturbes the effectiveness of insulin, and down-regulates the metabolism
    Navybeans - down-regulates the metabolism
    Cauliflower - down-regulates the thyroid hormones

I would really like to see/hear of somebody out there with positive effects of this though! Now I'm going to borrow the book, and do some research in the upcoming days/week, as I find the topic quite interesting.

4. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

I'm an A type. I think the bad thing is sort of interesting (dairy) since I'm lactose intolerant. That is pretty accurate for me. This is the first I've heard of this, but the dairy thing stuck out to me. I might look into this.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Hmm, ok this is getting more interesting. I'm not really interested in the weight gain/loss of it but the other theories. For example you mention the acidic level and ulcers, and it's my most common problem. Will check this thread again later when you (or anyone else) update.

6. Dolphino

You might want to change your milk with soyamilk or ricemilk, it did wonders for a friend of mine who is lactose intolerant.

7. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

I already have, a while ago actually. i like soy milk better than regular milk anyway. I was just saying I thought it was interesting one of my 'bad' foods, i'm not able to have.

8. Dolphino

Ok, I didn't mean to sound lecturing, if that was how you perceived it :p The only thing I don't like about soy milk is that it doesn't blend properly when I'm drinking my beloved black tea. ;) So, I've switched to green tea, due to its high concentration of antioxidants and goodness.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009