• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

blockbuster is finally bankrupt

Daemonic

Registered Member
Good, I saw this coming though.

I use netflix or buy used ones in good shape off amazon...

Unless it just came out I found you can get good movies for $5 - $10, and sometimes less on amazon that are still in good shape.

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
This is actually pretty bad for us in the UK. The only rental shops I've ever seen over here have either been independent ones (which are few and far between), and Blockbusters.

So, the question is if this will affect the ones in the UK, and if another company will come in to fill the void Blockbuster will leave behind.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
So, the question is if this will affect the ones in the UK, and if another company will come in to fill the void Blockbuster will leave behind.
With Blockbuster going out of business, they'll be liquidating alot of their assets which is going to mean a TON of DVD's being flooded on the market. That usually helps the indies grow their stock a little bit and if they are economically sound I wouldnt be surprised to see more indies opening up 2nd branches.

But the most realistic scenario is that another company will fill the void. Thats without a doubt in my mind. You guys dont have Netflix over there?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Closest to Netflix I can find is LoveFilm. However, checking up on how Blockbuster works, it turns out that Blockbuster UK is considered to be a separate entity, and as such will remain unaffected by the bankruptcy.

Which is good because over here, they are a pretty good chain.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I'm not really bothered by Blockbuster going outta business. Everything there was so expensive it chapped my ass every time I rented something. Roger's has the same shit for half the price. I stopped going to rental places a long time ago. For movies I just watch them online and then go out and buy them if I really really like them and for games I just buy them from EB Games and return them if they're shit.

See, that way everyone's happy. And by 'everyone' I mean just me.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm not surprised by this at all, as Goat mentioned they did a piss poor job in reacting to the changing market. They could have easily kept on top of the movie rental industry but refused to change. This is the end result for poor stewards of wealth.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Good.

I refused to buy anything from them. I went to rent a video game one day from them that wasn't at the other store and it was $15. I was like, no thank you.
My local Block Buster is one game for $9.50 or 2 for $15. You're getting hosed.

Therefore, I wait until RedBox has it and pay $1 (DVD) to $1.50 (Blu-Ray) for one day.
Their selection is pretty limited though, at least compared to a Block Buster. I enjoy both for different reasons.