Blisters

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by AnitaKnapp, Nov 5, 2008.

1. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Is there a fast way that I can get rid of a blister? I am attempting to train for a 5k race, but it's difficult to do so when I have formed a blister on the underside of my 4th toe.

Any ideas?

2. RATTIE

RATTIE Registered Member

Have a bath.
    If the bath alone doesn't draw it slide a sterilised pin in flush with your skin, don't pop it from the top cos that's more likely to impale you.
    That's what I used to do anyway but probably bad advice. :-/
    I dunno, it worked for me. :lol:

3. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

I don't know about 'getting rid of them' but whatever you do, don't burst them, they'll sting like hell, and won't heal properly or so quick.
    My Mum always says to soak your feet in salty water, it helps.

4. LadyPinky

LadyPinky scientia potestas est

Try these:
    [​IMG]

There like a band aid that you can wear for like three days. Protects the blister and heals it. Also to prevent blisters try Band-Aids blister block stick. Rub blister block on your sensitive foot spots and it creates an invisible bandaid, preventing friction from causing blisters. Also pretty awesome stuff.

5. AnitaKnapp

I don't think I actually have a needle. I might have to borrow one, and not say what it's for...or go to the store and get one. :p

I did buy some new running shoes today. What I had previously were plain tennis shoes and I've had those for a few years, so I thought that maybe the old shoes may have caused the friction.

6. RATTIE

RATTIE Registered Member

If you had your new ones on then it's probably them.
    Trainers/running shoes aren't normally too bad to break in, just cover the sore bits on your feet with some lightly padded fabric plasters/band aids.

Don't wear the new ones for any big races until they're broken in properly though or your poor feet will be in shreads. ;)

7. AnitaKnapp

No, I bought the new ones today because I thought that the old ones may have been the culprit in giving me the blister. Since these new ones are classified as running shoes, I'm hoping they don't rip my feet to shreds!!

8. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

They probably will. Running in new shoes even running shoes can actaully cause more blisters.

Runners usually buy the same brand and type once they find a shoe that works. They do not switch up anything because any change in shoe type causes blisters.

I ran in the summer and when I bought new runner shoes I actually got more blisters but after my feet go use to them I was blister free.

Make sure you break in your shoes before the race...only wear em when running though so you dont wear them out too fast...

9. AnitaKnapp

Thanks for the tips everyone. It is much better today. I never did get the needle and drain it though, but it seems to be healing up. I did soak it in hot water + epsom salt the same night I posted this.

I haven't even added the running part yet, I'm just trying to walk the distance first to get used to it. I am not a runner at all and I'm trying to not overwhelm myself too much to where I can't do a thing for a week. I still don't know why tennis shoes that I have worn for years gave me a blister. Hopefully the new shoes won't, and I will definitely train in them so they will be good and broken in by the time of the race (April).
    Oh, and sometime this weekend, I'll be looking for those bandaids!

10. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

You'll be ready for a 10K by then.:nod: Swift pretty much said everything I would have.
    My girls and I use to head out every Saturday for 5K runs here in MI. We got to the point where we'd remember the races by the food that was served after it ended.:lol:
    Good luck!