• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Poll Blink 182: Win or Fail?

What's your take on the new Blink 182?

• They're as epic as any new band I've heard.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're awesome and they're still Blink 182.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • They're okay but I'm not a huge fan.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Wtf is a Blink 182, dude??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dekzper

Registered Member
Blink 182 basically dissolved after their '03 self-titled album when DeLong rage-quit the band and refused to tour. And when "Meet The Barker's" hit MTV people were thinking the band was basically history. Tbh, it prolly still would be if the Learjet plane crash never happened. It wasn't until Delong and Hoppus visited Barker in the hospital that they finally srsly considered reforming the band. I mean, they were obviously total win in the 90's and very obviously unhappy about living in the past. They even postponed the European tour so they'd have new material to work with. In a word, from the band, "We hoped we would have some new songs to play rather than do another 'greatest hits tour'".

In other interviews, they said they wanted to keep their musical style but with new and more now elements in their songs. And they were def excited about getting back into the loop.

So what's your take on it? I mean, they already have a huge Stan base so any new album they drop will win - on that level. But have they created new sounds on the same level as the music we listen to now? Please vote and/or discuss. :)

Old Blink 182:

blink-182 - Feeling This - YouTube

New Blink 182:

blink-182 - Up All Night - YouTube

Last edited:

StewedParrot

Registered Member
i could not get into their old stuff. i just never did. but that new song you posted seemed ok. i would say, they are maturing which i think is interesting to hear in any band/artist.

Last edited:

wooly

I am the woolrus
I noticed the options range from: awesome - awesome - alright - who? There's no option for: 'I hate them with a passion' or 'in my top 5 least favourite bands ever'. This new stuff hasn't really convinced me otherwise.

Everything about Blink 182 annoy me. Absolutely everything. The lead singer's voice most of all. But also.... everything else!

Speaking as a drummer aswell, Travis Barker annoys the hell out of me. So ridiculously overrated it's crazy. It's a shame he's the most idolised drummer for most young players today.

Dekzper

Registered Member
@ StewedParrot. Yeah, it's basically no-brainer pop but I think they're dedicated wannabes for some serious hardcore and I hope they win. They're creative enough to have a pretty unique style so I can't wait to see where they go with that in the future. :D And their lyrics are honest and mostly in the loop.

@ Wooly. LOL! :lol: I'm no stan but I am a fan and I really shoulda added a "Omg! Kill it!" option :lol: but I like them too much.
But I def admit the drummer couldn't compete with Meg White (The White Stripes) and they could def use more high tech equipment. Btw, I think Mark's voice totally owns and I could listen to it like forever. :D

StewedParrot

Registered Member
I noticed the options range from: awesome - awesome - alright - who? There's no option for: 'I hate them with a passion' or 'in my top 5 least favourite bands ever'. This new stuff hasn't really convinced me otherwise.

Everything about Blink 182 annoy me. Absolutely everything. The lead singer's voice most of all. But also.... everything else!

Speaking as a drummer aswell, Travis Barker annoys the hell out of me. So ridiculously overrated it's crazy. It's a shame he's the most idolised drummer for most young players today.
you mention 'overrated'. something that i don't understand about people and music in our world is how can people like or dislike (or 'hate') music based on its rating? essentially what you are saying is that too many people 'like' the music so you hate it because it is liked by 'too many people' or as you said 'over-rated'.

i use to hate country music but i never really listened to country music. i just disliked the people associated with country music even though i never associated with those people. now i have found myself more open to music in general and actually listening to it without bias or even allowing the following to dictate my taste buds. Music is music, its the art of sound. why not listen to it for what it is?

to flipside this... just for my own demise. allot of music artists are heavily influenced by their following which is odd since the following is following the sound in the first place? :D

wooly

I am the woolrus
you mention 'overrated'. something that i don't understand about people and music in our world is how can people like or dislike (or 'hate') music based on its rating? essentially what you are saying is that too many people 'like' the music so you hate it because it is liked by 'too many people' or as you said 'over-rated'.
I used the term "over-rated" for the drummer Travis Barker, which.... he simply is. He's often called the "greatest drummer in the world", or even the greatest EVER by some which is just an insanely ludicrous statement. I work as a drum teacher at the moment, and i would never, ever recommend travis Barker as a good role model for any of my students. Technically, he's extremely limited, he pretty much just has one style: Play fast and hit hard. Put Travis in a Jazz, Blues, Country.... Pretty much any genre that isn't Punk or Hip-Hop and he sucks, big time. Compared to people like Neil Peart, Steve Gadd and Ian Paice, he really is pretty much a novice on the drumset.

So in my mind, that makes him incredibly overrated!

Last edited:

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
I personally love the hell out of blink. I liked them back in their younger years and I like their new stuff as well. I can definitely understand alot of the criticism that they get, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying them. I also feel like I should mention that while the plane crash was one of the big contributing factors that got them back together and talking, the death of Jerry Finn, who had produced every one of their albums since the addition of Travis and was a good friend of theirs, got them together and talking before the plane crash. So that was another big push.

And Wooly, I have a buddy who is a very competent drummer also who hates Travis as well. He was bitching about him back in the Enema of the State days. His biggest complaint was essentially that, in his oppinion, Travis more or less just flailed like a madman. He hated that he threw random beats in for seemingly no reason whatsoever. So You definitely are not alone on that aspect.

But like I said, I really love blink. I will freely admit that their music isn't exactly the most meaningful stuff (though I was pleasantly surprised by the more 'mature' feel of Neighborhoods) but that has never stopped me from getting a bit excited when a blink song comes up when my music is on shuffle.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
For their time Blink were good, they were never the best but they were good. Whenever I heard Blink I always thought of them as softcore/skate punk which if that is what they were aiming for great but in comparison to bands like AFI, Flogging Molly, NOFX or Bad Religion they just don't stand up, I will give Blink another go but I am not convinced they will capture my imagination in the same as they did for Crou being the anthem of when I was in highschool.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I love Blink 182! Their old and new stuff, I am totally putting some of their songs on my iPod, I can't believe I haven't already. My favorite album is still Blink 182 (with the song I Miss You that you posted) and it always will be.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
thealigator Music 5
Crypticshock Hockey 5
dtctvholmes Introductions 12
Merc Art & Creative 4
Xeilo Music 28