• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Blind people conceal carrying guns in public?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Lawmakers and law enforcement officials in Iowa are debating the merits of issuing blind citizens permits to acquire and carry concealed firearms.

Iowa to allow the blind to carry guns in public | The Raw Story
I am all for gun rights but I have to question blind people carrying in public. Even if something did happen they could very easily shoot the wrong person. If your vision is so bad not even glasses will help your not going to know for sure what or who you are shooting at.

I have no problem with them having a gun in the home, it is their constitutional right to do so. I really don't like discriminating against the handicapped but some things they just aren't capable of doing. Its not safe for them or others.

What do you think about a blind man conceal carrying? Should the sheriffs dept be allowed to turn down a blind person for a permit to conceal carry because of their blindness?

Misdoubt

Registered Member
I feel like an eye rating (Wrong term?) that meets a certain minimum should be required, I mean, not to sound like an uneducated dick but, what are they even going to shoot? if I was blind I'd feel like I was firing into the black of night and I wouldn't want to own a firearm.

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
If I were blind, I wouldn't even bother carrying a weapon of any sort. I could end up killing the wrong person or destroying the wrong things and end up in even more trouble than when I was blind.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm not comfortable with the idea of a blind person having a firearm. I can't understand how any blind person could be comfortable with the idea. I understand it's technically their right to do so but it's very risky.

In every firearm safety class you go to you're always taught "aim and fire" not "hold the gun up and fire".

People that can see miss all the time, I don't want to sound cruel but a blind person has a much much higher chance of missing or hitting the wrong target entirely.

Zenheizer

needs practice
If they can't drive an automobile what the hell are they going to do with a firearm. A very stupid consideration, it just doesn't make sense. Screw the discriminating against handicap they physically cannot operate a firearm like able bodied indivuals. They are blind for crying out loud.

Jadae

Registered Member
They need bouncing betty-type throwing objects that have taser wires pop out, instead of trapnel, lol.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I simply don't get it. Why is this even a discussion amongst people? Can a blind person get a driver's license? Exactly, no gun permits either. We have plenty of people with perfect vision who cannot be trusted with firearms, why would we think a blind person could be? They lack the base requirement for owning one, sight. It might sound harsh but that's just how it is.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I do not think it is a case of sounding harsh or being unconstitutional but more of a question of is it safe to allow someone who is either visually impaired or blind to own something such as a fire arm, my honest answer? I don't think it is safe, of course they have the right to but I think sometimes you need to step back and as the old quote says "just because you can doesn't mean you should". That being said where do people stand on the idea of being able to have basics such as knifes in the home?

I used to live next door to a guy who has recently moved out who was blind, he could not get any of his electrics working so he asked me to go and help him, it turned out his fuse box had stopped working and in further looking I found an electric item that carefully measure how much boiling water would go into a cup for him to avoid any burns or overflowing of boiling water. When I looked at it it was filled with water around the bottom which understandably he was unaware of. I switched off the breaker and cleaned up the water to ensure that their was no chance of an electric shock. This has gone off on a bit of a tangent but it does kind of highlight all dangers not just fire arms.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I see where they have the right to carry a gun but where's the common sense? How can a blind person accurately fire a gun if they can't see what the hell they're shooting at? This needs to be reversed because a blind person with a gun is a dangerous thing. We don't let blind people drive cars. They can't fly a plane. They sure as hell won't work a saw, run a laser, or preform surgery. Blind people should not be allowed firearms.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't like to discriminate against someone because of a handicap but sometimes the needs of the many really do outweigh the needs of the few. You really need to be physically able to do something before you are allowed to do it like driving a car. Although I don't think driving a car is a constitutional right like owning a gun and that along with discrimination laws is where the problem is coming in.