• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Blackberry SIM card into iPhone 3GS

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
As some of you may know I'm getting an iPhone 5 soon, but they're all in back order so I don't know when I'll get one.

My brother got his today, and I'm trying to put my Blackberry Curve SIM card in his old iPhone 3GS, I've looked at some websites that says it can be done, and others says no. I've tried it, and for some reason it still reads his text messages, and has his contacts. Also, I tried calling my phone number and it fails.

Anyone have the answer? Can it be done? I don't see why it couldn't.

Please help.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
As some of you may know I'm getting an iPhone 5 soon, but they're all in back order so I don't know when I'll get one.

My brother got his today, and I'm trying to put my Blackberry Curve SIM card in his old iPhone 3GS, I've looked at some websites that says it can be done, and others says no. I've tried it, and for some reason it still reads his text messages, and has his contacts. Also, I tried calling my phone number and it fails.

Anyone have the answer? Can it be done? I don't see why it couldn't.

Please help.
Okay, first of all unless the american version of the iPhone is different to the UK one you will not be able to use your present sim card in the iPhone 5 unless you do a bit of work with a scalpel as since the iPhone 4 came out they require microsims which yours is not which is why it will fit into the 3Gs but people warn of the 4/4s.

The main reason I can think of for it having his contacts and indeed messages is if you have always saved your contacts onto your phone rather than the sim, to be fair this is quite common as it does not explicitly tell you where the contacts go and nine times out of ten it will be the phone. The same with your text messages, its rare for them to carry over with the sim card in my experience.

I am confused about phoning your number and it failing, do you mean when it is in the iphone you ring it from another phone it fails? What happens if you make a call from it? I could be wrong here but I think that when the original iphone 3gs came out you had to register your sim with the phone itself so it is possible that is the case.

Give us a shout and I will try to be more help if I can if I have been at all :D

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Okay, first of all unless the american version of the iPhone is different to the UK one you will not be able to use your present sim card in the iPhone 5 unless you do a bit of work with a scalpel as since the iPhone 4 came out they require microsims which yours is not which is why it will fit into the 3Gs but people warn of the 4/4s.
Yeah, when I get my new iPhone5, I'll be getting a new sim card. Right now, I just want to put my current sim card from my Blackberry Curve in to my brother's iPhone 3GS.

The main reason I can think of for it having his contacts and indeed messages is if you have always saved your contacts onto your phone rather than the sim, to be fair this is quite common as it does not explicitly tell you where the contacts go and nine times out of ten it will be the phone. The same with your text messages, its rare for them to carry over with the sim card in my experience.
How do you save them on your sim card? And, since my brother's old sim card isn't in his 3GS anymore why is it still on his old phone? Is there a real easy way to have my contacts and text messages from my Curve go on his 3GS?

I am confused about phoning your number and it failing, do you mean when it is in the iphone you ring it from another phone it fails? What happens if you make a call from it? I could be wrong here but I think that when the original iphone 3gs came out you had to register your sim with the phone itself so it is possible that is the case.
MY brother used his new iPhone5 that has a new sim card and tried calling his old 3GS(that had my current sim card from my Curve it just beep, and on his screen it said called failed.

Last edited:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Yeah, when I get my new iPhone5, I'll be getting a new sim card. Right now, I just want to put my current sim card from my Blackberry Curve in to my brother's iPhone 3GS.
Ahh thats sound then, once you get it you will be good to go.

How do you save them on your sim card? And, since my brother's old sim card isn't in his 3GS anymore why is it still on his old phone? Is there a real easy way to have my contacts and text messages from my Curve go on his 3GS?
To save it onto the Sim you need to go into the contact itself on your blackberry, go into the blackberry menu and right at the top you will have the option to "copy to sim phone book", so far as I know you have to it one at a time but I could be wrong. They are likely to be there because he has done the same thing but not wiped it.

I am not sure of the quickest method to be honest aside from sending them from one to the other. I will look if there is any software and let you know.

MY brother used his new iPhone5 that has a new sim card and tried calling his old 3GS(that had my current sim card from my Curve it just beep, and on his screen it said called failed.
My best guess is that it is somehow locked out to other sim cards which would make sense as the operator will not want you using a different operators line, do you get a full 3G signal on it? If you dial from the 3Gs what happens? If you can make outgoing calls but not incoming I would try the sim in another phone and see what happens, if it works in another phone at least you know it is the iPhone at fault and not your sim.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I tried calling from my brother's 3gs with my Sim card to his new phone and the called failed, too.

I tried putting my brother's old sim card in my curve and you don't get any signal at all.

I just don't why it's not working. This is frustrating. Sorry I can't be any more descriptive and such. Not really a tech guy.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I might be misunderstanding something here, but wouldn't you call your phone number (the one that is associated with your sim card), and not your brother's number?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah, sorry, should have been more specific. What I meant is that he used his new iPhone and called his old phone(calling my current number) and it failed.