• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Black Bear Mauls Woman

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The hunt is on today for a black bear who mauled a woman at her home in an upscale central Florida neighborhood, leaving her with injuries to her face, legs and torso and requiring her to get 40 stitches to the head.

Black Bear Mauls Florida Woman, Drags Her Out of Garage
I'm not sure if she knew the bears were there before she went out or maybe she didn't see them until she got out there. I don't know, but I for sure wouldn't of went out if I knew they were there. If they are eating or have cubs with them you are just asking for trouble.

There is one piece of advice in this article I would follow, with a black bear you should stand your ground and not play dead.

Thoughts?

Taliesin

Registered Member
Wow. She's lucky to be alive, that's all I can say.

I had no idea that you shouldn't play dead with black bears. I knew about the standing your ground thing though. Truth be told, it would be all I could do to stand there without going weak at the knees from terror.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
No you shouldn't with a black bear and this isn't the first time I've heard this. If they want to eat you they will do it anyway. Hopefully if I ever have to face one I at least have a ball bat in my hands.

wolfheart

Registered Member
From reading the article it does sound like a mother and cubs from the reaction.
From what I have learnt about them through reading and nature programs they are more likely to do mock charges than actually attack, unless they feel the cubs are in danger.

The lady was really lucky, forty stitches could have been a whole lot more.
I suppose if these bears can get to rubbish that they can eat they will continue to venture into populated areas, if it had been a child I hate to think of the outcome.

As for standing your ground I have heard that as well in programs, but I bet it's a hard thing to do if you come face to face with an animal like that, the urge to run would be huge.