Birthday Cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by icegoat63, Jun 13, 2008.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

in a nutshell... Are they necessary?

Heres my story, Its my Cousins B-Day. He might as well be my big brother so naturally I always try to get or make him something nice for his Bday. I put about a months work into his present, wrapped it and all that good stuff. I have no intentions of getting him a card and my girlfriend is telling me I'm supposed to. So really does a person have to have a card when they are getting a gift? I say no... I spent the time on the present... they don't need some pre-manufactured hallmark card that I'm just going to scribble my signature and "happy birthday" on.

what do you think?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't always buy cards. There are certain times when if a written note of some type is necessary I'll buy a card, but really cards aren't necessary all the time. Hallmark will beg to differ..

Anniversaries, graduations, or if you're wishing an out of town friend or family member happy birthday then a card is good. If you are giving them a gift in person I think you can say Happy Birthday and anything else you need to their face. ;)

It also depends on the person. If the person appreciates a card and you know that, then why not get them one. If they don't really care generally then I don't see it as a big deal.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

It's nice to have but to feel bad that you only got a gift without a card...I'll find that demanding. It's worse than feeling bad when people get a card without a gift.

4. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I'll usually get one or the other because personally I never liked cards but when I get gift cards I put it in a card. When I get a real gift screw the card cuz they got a gift.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

If it's for my friends I usually don't buy cards, I usually make a pretty crappy funny card, it's for a wedding anniversary or something of that nature then yes I usually buy a card. I've been buying cards since I was young, I don't think i'll stop anytime soon either.

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I give cards all the time. It feels like a stupid purchase because they cost around $2-5 for a quick glance and into the trash they go. You might end up saving some of them if they're truly special. It seems like cards are there to break the ice before you open your present. A mood setter of sorts.

7. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

Nah, it's not important at all. Heck, I haven't even been good at getting my actual sister's and brother's bday cards for a couple years. I intend to, but in the end I fail.

For my wedding I actually would have preferred that everyone that just gave us money in a card, just put the extra 2-3 bucks in an envelope instead of buying the card. You figure we easy got 50-75 just money gifts, that's a good 150 or so more dollars we could have had instead of a bunch of useless cards we read once (that all said "congratulations!") and threw away.

8. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

wow thats a really good point.... imagine if every hallmark card cost roughly 5 bucks (which anymore they all do) and you had 50 people each give one card... thats $250 on just cards! Wow... *takes note for my wedding*

9. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

A card is just a place to discretely placed the money/check.

Say my sister moved far away I would buy her a card for her b-day. But other than immediate family or gf/spouse they are unnecessary.

10. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I hate cards. I hate getting them and I hate giving them. The really are a waste of money in my eyes. Even the ones at the dollar store that are two for a dollar.