Birth Benefits

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by padd, Mar 28, 2008.

1. padd

padd Registered Member

They used to have birth benefits here back in the 50's over here to influence the baby boom, they would pay a family a certain amount after the birth of each baby, and they're now brough up the idea again.. in any case would that be a good benefit to have, would it make a difference,?

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Why would we? The US has enough people in it and especially enough unwanted children. Paying people to have children is ridiculous.

3. padd

padd Registered Member

how is it ridiculous? in my part Canada the fastest growing population r the blacks n the arabs. i think a good pinch from the gvmnt would ifnluence people like the europeans to produce cause they usually stop @ their 2nd child if anything.. me for example i'm a single child.

4. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

padd, I really hope that you didn't mean for that to sound as racist as it did. Please explain yourself.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Does US have an aging population problem these days? If not, then the country will probably find no reason to bring back baby boom birth benefits.

Where I live, we have great birth incentives (I even benefit from it, having 3 kids) but it's tied to promoting birth of babies to pay for the aging population. The pension system here is based on solidarity between generations.

Yes it's good to have it. However, I heard that despite the incentives, we're still not producing enough babies. lol. So I guess while it's part of a solution, it alone doesn't solve the problem.

6. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

We're actually starting to have too many of the baby boomers reaching the end of their lives and it is a drain on social security.

7. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Like Cons said, with overpopulation and all our unwanted children I don't see any reason for birth benefits.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

It really does come down to how many unwanted children we have for me. I mean, there are people out there who are dull and sick enough that they would have kids just to get money. Fortunately they're in the minority, but why encourage them? People can decide when to have kids (if any) and I don't think persuasion is necessary.

9. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Lots of countries do birth incintives. Russia and Australia come to mind as having some of the best programs. In the 70s and 80s there was this global push for smaller birth rates. We were going to run out of food and resources. It was all backed with garbage-science and end of the world predictions. So, now you've got countries like Greece, Italy and Spain that have reached a point that they cannot reverse their decline without massive immigration. Nations are top heavy with seniors that can't work and no one to take care of them.

10. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

We also don't have nearly enough people paying INTO social security. Chances are most of us will ever receive a dime from SS.