• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Bird or Magic?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was thinking about this today. Between these two superstars who do you think had the better overall career and why? I know Johnson career was cut short do being HIV positive but they both played 13 years, but he still had an amazing career. The reason why I asking you to say who's better between the two is because I believe these two will be forever link together?

I will post my response later.

TDG1987

Registered Member
Looking at the raw stats, Bird avg. about 24 points, 10 rebounds, and 6 assists for his career. Magic's stats are around 20 points, 7 rebounds, and 11 assists per game. Bird was a much greater offensive threat, shooting higher percentages in FG's, 3-pointers, and FT's. I believe Bird was a slightly better defender as well. Both played with great sets of teammates. Unfortunantely I never really got to see them play. When I was born, the Lakers/Celtics rivalry was winding down and they were on the back-ends of their careers. It's very close but I would go with Magic. One reason is that he came out on top in their head-to-head matchups, winning 5 rings to Bird's 3. Another reason is that Magic changed the game, being a 6'9" point guard. He didn't have to score for the Lakers to have success. Finally, he had some of the greatest games ever. Magic is 2nd only to Oscar Roberston in career triple-doubles. He had that 42, 15, and 7 game against the 76ers in the 1980 Finals while playing center. There's really no wrong answer but I'm going with Magic.