• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Bipolar SO?

AeonFlux

I am the edge!
I met my boyfriend around 9 months ago. We’ve been dating for 7 and steady for 4. From the very beginning I noticed that he would have mood shifts from one day to the next. He would be smiling and energetic and outgoing one day and then quiet and reclusive the next. I just got used to it as the way he was and didn’t think anything of it. Lately though the mood shifts have become much more severe. For example, on Sunday we went to a block party and he could not stay still for the life of him. He was going from one group of people to the next and never slowed down all night. I didn’t even bother trying to keep up with him because I knew from experience that it was impossible. The next day he stayed in all day playing video games and hardly said a word to me or anyone else. He’s started shutting himself off emotionally during these phases and I feel like he’s slipping further and further away as these episodes become more severe. I’m no doctor and obviously can’t give him any sort of diagnosis, but the possibility of bipolarism did cross my mind.

I need some advice on how to handle this situation. I’m not asking for a diagnosis or anything like that, what I’m asking for is advice on how to approach him about the possibility of bipolarism and get him to see a doctor about it. I think it’s likely that he would be insulted by the suggestion, so I need to handle it delicately. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Wade8813

Registered Member
How severe are you talking about? My dad's bipolar, but it's minor, and 90% of the time, you couldn't even tell.

If he's done anything particularly severe, rather than bring up the possibility of him being bipolar, you might just mention his actions, and how those affect him and those around him.

Alternatively, you might consider talking to a family member of his (if he's at all close to any of them). Just explain the same thing - that you're honestly concerned, but don't want to hurt him.

If what he's done isn't that bad, it might just be moodiness/whatever. I don't know how old he is, but there are various stages in life where it's pretty common to be emotionally volatile.

One thing to keep in mind - mood cycles in bipolar disorder tend to be a bit longer term. If it's constantly changing from day to day, it might be something else (it's considered Ultra-rapid cycling if you go through a cycle in less than a month). What is Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I guess I would ask him if he's noticed the extremes of his personality and ask him if it affects him, and express your concern about the possibility of it worsening.

good luck.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I dated a girl with a moderate case of bipolar disorder on and off for a couple of years. There were definitely times where I wanted to rip my hair out and yell as loud as I could. It was hard to deal with the ups and downs. I never knew what personality I was going to run into too.

Her emotions seemed to go by the week though. She'd be overly happy for a couple weeks and then she'd be bleh for a couple. She was very open about what she had and we talked it out a lot and quite frankly that helped the most. She was alot a pathological liar so you can imagine the horrors I had to go through. Because of her I'll rarely lie about anything these days.

There's nothing you can do to change the fact he's bipolar but you should talk to him about it.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I guess I would ask him if he's noticed the extremes of his personality and ask him if it affects him, and express your concern about the possibility of it worsening.

good luck.
This was my answer as I read your post. Find out if he's aware but make sure to let him know that you support him and always will because he may feel a bit alone or judged. I say that because he may be very aware of it and he's struggling in silence. Bringing it out into the open could have a few results so just make sure that he knows you're there to help him not judge him.

rainbow5555

Registered Member
If your sure he has Bi-polar try talking to him about his mood swings while he seems more normal and relaxed, also be direct and honest, the honesty could cause him to breakdown, but if he breaks down its probably for the best (When a it causes them to realise things they simply did not before).

Shwa

V.I.P.
I would go with the more forward approach and talk with him to see if he is or not, ask him about the things you've been noticing and if they should be a major concern. Or just plainly ask him if he is bipolar or not, there's only one way to find out. It's not like you dont have your suspicions so there really shouldn't be a problem with him getting upset over a simple talk. But then again, I'm no expert either on their behavior either. Just calmly and plainly ask.

~Shwa

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dDave Bathroom Wall 3
EndWinterRomance Health & Fitness 6