Movies Bioshock the Movie

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by ExpectantlyIronic, May 9, 2008.

1. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Joystiq - BioShock movie in development, Gore Verbinski directing
    "Variety reports that Universal has signed a deal to turn BioShock into a movie. Director Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean) will head the project and Aviator writer John Logan may write the screenplay."

It'll be interesting to see where they go with this.

2. Corona

Corona Registered Member

I wonder which path the main character will choose regarding the Little Sisters.

3. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

Gore Verbinski could be a hit or miss with me. Aside from the Pirates trilogy (which I have mixed opinions on each one) he has "The Ring" and "The Mexican" under his belt. Wasn't exactly a fan of either.

We'll see how it plays out though. They have a few elements they can play with: The main character because he's not exactly defined as a person in the game personality wise and the environment. I'm hoping they hire a damn good production designer for this. I want it to look as authentic as the game.

They also don't have a cast yet so we'll have to wait and see what their decision is on that. Constantine suggested that Clive Owen would make a good Frank Fontaine/Atlas and I agree. Hopefully they'll cast better than "Max Payne" did.

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Given the quality and subtlety of Bioshock's writing, I'm not wild about the director being known primarily for spectacle.

However, the alleged screenwriter wrote The Aviator, which while I didn't like was definitely better than the shit Verbinski's pushed out.

5. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I do not see this movie happening...if it actually went into film and production I would be surprised...

I never have my hopes too high for video game to big screen movies though.

If the Halo movie is on indefinite hiatus with the likes of Alex Garland and Peter Jackson (never being made) then I somehow doubt Bioshock would garner enough attention to get greenlit...

I remember also a Splinter Cell being made into a film adaptation with Paramount...that has yet to come out...the teaser for movie is on a gaming extra...

Once it gets past the preliminaries then I will be on board.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  6. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

Agreed

Bioshock Is one of my favorite game storylines and has the possibility of being an epic movie title.

But thats up to the production team and this could easily flop.
    ------
    Take-two doesnt fuck around.. And most games are made around what would be fun to play (halo), Bioshock was made around a deeply compelling and original storyline.

And after recieving countless millions from GTA if take-two wants to make it.. they will and I'm sure they will set up an experienced production team too.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  7. Italiano

Italiano Film Elitist

I thought the same thing about "Max Payne" and "Metal Gear Solid" but apparently "Max Payne" is in post and "Metal Gear Solid" has a confirmed director and in preproduction.

Just because a movie is well-written doesn't mean it's good on screen. The director still has one of the biggest, if not the biggest influence on set. Gore Verbinski is not going to be on set for spectacle. He can make this movie a "Pirates of a Caribbean" or he can make it a "Mexican"