Billups Opts Out Of Contract

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Babe_Ruth, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

ESPN -
    Chauncey Billups officially opted out of his contract Monday, making him an unrestricted free agent as of July 1.

"Chauncey's first intention is to come back to Detroit, and we'll continue to explore that as an option, but if we're unable to make a deal with the Pistons my obligation is to look at other possibilities that will provide long-term security for Chauncey and his family," agent Andy Miller told ESPN.com.

Billups was due to make $6,819,000 next season in the final year of his contract, which had an early termination option.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/46681/20070625/billups_opts_out_of_contract/

2. TDG1987

TDG1987 Registered Member

Joe Dumars better do everything in his power to sign Chauncey otherwise the Pistons are screwed with 4 options at PG.

1. A rookie (who won't be Conley or Law)

2. Flip Murray

3. Lindsay Hunter

4. A free agent scrub

Not good.

3. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Guest

chances are he'll re-sign.. just for a lot more than 6.8 mil per.

4. Babe_Ruth

I agree, I believe that he's going to re-sign with the Pistons, he just wants more money which is understandable, and if he doesn't get it by the Pistons then he'll get it from some other team. But I believe that he should re-sign with the Pistons because there the one that gave him a chance to shine and he did that. It will be interesting to see what will happen, but I believe he'll be in a Pistons uniform next season.

5. He'll resign, he's just exploring his worth around the NBA.

6. zunami

zunami Registered Member

Orlando will have a ton of cap space so they should make a run for him. I don't think Jameer Nelson is a starter caliber player. Grant Hill will leave so they'll really be in need of the type of experience Billups has. In fact a sign-and-trade with Hill, Hedo and Nelson would make sense.

7. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

I thought he would opt out , But I also think he'll go back.

8. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

I also think he'll be a Piston next season. He just wants to be a Piston that is worth 8-9 million dollars with a long contract instead of one that is only worth 6.8 million that is becoming and un-restricted free agent at the end of the season. Alot of players in the past have opted out of their contracts not because they want to leave the team, but only because they want to see how much their value is worth around the league, and they know that their original team will pay up the money, so why not explore the options. Especially for a franchise player like Chauncey Billups. So right now Chauncey Billups is playing his cards right.

9. Babe_Ruth

ESPN -
    Chauncey Billups' agent refuted media reports that his client had agreed to a five-year, $60 million contract.

"This is a vicious rumor," Andy Miller, Billups' agent, told The Detroit Free Press. "It's entirely untrue. We have not reached an agreement. I don't know what stage we're at. We're having ongoing discussions, and I don't believe that we're on the verge of signing an agreement anytime today by any stretch of the imagination."

The Associated Press and some Detroit-area media outlets had reported that Billups and the Pistons had agreed to a five-year contract.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...nt_billups_agreement_report_is_vicious_rumor/

10. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Guest

LOL at a 60 mil contract being a 'vicious rumor' those frakin' agents live on another planet..