• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Bill stripping U.S. citizenship from IS recruits

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A U.S. senator said Friday that Americans who join, support or fight with Islamic State should lose their U.S. citizenship, and said he would introduce legislation to bar anyone who does so from returning to the country.

Ted Cruz vows to push bill stripping U.S. citizenship from Islamic State recruits
I don't agree with much Ted Cruz wants to do but I think this might be a good idea if they aren't natural born citizens. If they want to take off to some other country and join a terrorist group why should we allow them back in. I think the UK should do the same thing.

It would have to be worded very carefully. I don't want it used somewhere down the line for other reasons. Because if you remember during WWII Americans were going to Canada to join their military because the US wasn't in the fight. I didn't see anything wrong with that.

The Americans who died for Canada in WWII finally get their due: 'These men are my heroes' | Toronto Star

Thoughts?

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Not sure why this is needed. If they try to come back in just try them for treason? Otherwise what, you just don't let them in but let them go on their way? No.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
The last paragraph tells you why. He wants to amend an already existing law. The key here is renouncing the citizenship.

Certainly makes it easier for us to deal with the Americans that have joined ISIS.

I think this is a good move.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Not sure why this is needed. If they try to come back in just try them for treason? Otherwise what, you just don't let them in but let them go on their way? No.
The only problem with trying them here you are going to have to have really good evidence they did join a terrorist group and fight with them. Then they are going to claim insanity. If they do make it to prison they will recruit others.

Let them go to one of their prisons where they won't be treated as well and won't cost taxpayers a dime.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
The only problem with trying them here you are going to have to have really good evidence they did join a terrorist group and fight with them. Then they are going to claim insanity. If they do make it to prison they will recruit others.

Let them go to one of their prisons where they won't be treated as well and won't cost taxpayers a dime.
^ This.

If they are allowed to come back to the US then there could be enough of them to start some really serious issues - even if some of them are detained. We dont need terrorists here so its tons better just to ban them from entering the states.

Anyway imo the best justice for anyone that fights for ISIS is probaly a drone. They cant get away from that with a insanity plea.