• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Bill Maher - Religulous

Lesley

Registered Member
I watched this movie this weekend and thought it was absolutely BRILLIANT. I couldn't have summed up my own personal feelings better than he has (and he's much wittier than I am).

Has anyone else seen it? What were your thoughts?

I'm especially interested to see if there are any religious folks who were able to watch the whole thing with an open mind and consider his points on their own merit.

The most fascinating part to me were the parallels drawn between early egyptian religion and christianity. I find it really interesting that there are major themes in the bible that are also found in a religion that predated Jesus.

Some quotes from the film:

The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions, is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Doubt is humble and that is what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting shit dead wrong.
Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think that they do.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I've never been the biggest fan of him but it did look like an interesting film. I've always said that atheists piss me off as often as the fundamentalists so I'm not sure I'll love this one.

Lesley

Registered Member
It's not pro-atheism at all. I think you would find it interesting at the very least. He interviews people of all religions...muslim, christian, jewish.

greyham_G

Registered Member
i havent seen it but i heard it is brilliant. im really interested and i will definitely get around to seeing it soon.

NINnerd

Survived a M&G with Trent
I saw this in the theatre when it came out. Loved it! I'm an atheist, for disclosure purposes.

The most fascinating part to me were the parallels drawn between early egyptian religion and christianity. I find it really interesting that there are major themes in the bible that are also found in a religion that predated Jesus.
Me, too! This is the best part of the whole movie and is what I remember most.

Italiano

Film Elitist
For the record I haven't seen the entire movie yet but from what I have seen of this and from what I know of Bill Maher it looks severely biased. A lot of it just seems to be Bill going around bashing other religions for reasons that seem obvious to most atheists and agnostics. It's not even clever.

There doesn't even seem to be any valid point other than throwing the ridicule of religion in your face.

I'll see it eventually but low expectations. I don't think I'd even count this as a legit documentary.

NINnerd

Survived a M&G with Trent
For the record I haven't seen the entire movie yet but from what I have seen of this and from what I know of Bill Maher it looks severely biased. A lot of it just seems to be Bill going around bashing other religions for reasons that seem obvious to most atheists and agnostics. It's not even clever.

There doesn't even seem to be any valid point other than throwing the ridicule of religion in your face.

I'll see it eventually but low expectations. I don't think I'd even count this as a legit documentary.
Bill Maher, himself, has said numerous times that this is NOT a documentary, but a comedy. It's not meant to take both sides into account. It's a film he made to just question why others believe what they do and to interject humor along with it. FYI.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Bill Maher, himself, has said numerous times that this is NOT a documentary, but a comedy. It's not meant to take both sides into account. It's a film he made to just question why others believe what they do and to interject humor along with it. FYI.
Translation: It's a comedy documentary satirizing organized religion (by the way, that's what it is classified as).

Zeroslabel

Religulous Movie: Thoughts.

Hello all, recently I watched the movie Religulous and I was wondering if anyone else watched this and what their thoughts of it were and how they feel about the topic of god and religion.

For those of you who haven't seen it, Bill Maher travels around the the world simply asking questions to different people of different faiths. He reaches out to religious leaders as well as regular folk on the street, discussing the existence of God and the importance of organized religion.

I personally am unsure, I think there could be a god sure but as far as religion I think its a bit well, ridiculous.

Discuss:)