• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religion Bill Maher on Islam

dDave

V.I.P.
As strongly as I disagree with him on most things, wow I didn't expect to hear this from Bill Maher.

I've always believed that Islam and Christianity were VERY separate religions and that Islam is very violent. It's just as Maher says, it's right in the pages of the Quran, as it applies today.

Listen to Bill Maher’s Seriously Blunt Response to Charlie Rose’s Claim About Islam and Christianity | Video | TheBlaze.com

What are your thoughts on this?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I like Bill Maher and I try to catch his HBO show, Real Time with Bill Maher, every Friday night. I don't always agree with him, but he is incredibly intelligent and he makes me laugh, but I also enjoy his show because it's one of the few political shows that has civilized debate between conservatives and liberals, whereas on most shows it's slanted heavily one way or the other.

Anyway, about the subject of Islam compared to Christianity, he makes good points for sure. I'm just not so sure it's not more of a cultural difference between the West and the Middle East than it is a difference between religions. Yeah, the Quran might be barbaric, though I haven't actually read it. But the vast majority of Muslims in the U.S. and other western countries don't seem to condone the violent nature of the religion in the Middle East.

There is also a LOT of stuff in the Bible (which I have read in its entirety) that is barbaric in nature and would not fly in today's society, but that always seems to get dismissed. Maybe because the New Testament does away with a lot of the disgusting stuff in the Old Testament. But then, what does that say about Judaism, which, as far as I know, is based mostly on the OT?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The difference I see is the prophets of the OT preached peace, repentance and service to God while Mohamed was a warrior that actively participated in battles.

There are some exceptions. The prophet under King Saul(whose name I can't remember) told Saul to kill every man, woman and child of the town they were at war with. But look at Jonah who God instructed to go to Nineveh and preach repentance to a wicked people.

I know that Islam has many of the same prophets as Judaism, but from what I understand Mohamed declared himself as the complete prophet and what he said sorta over-ruled the others.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Islam is different from other religions. It is a religion that preaches violence. Its perfectly okay to chop someone head off for the most mundane things like being gay. Don't dare try to leave the religion or you will be killed. If you are Christian you are considered a infidel. If you destroy the Koran you could be killed by a mob of angry Muslims. Cheat and you will be stoned to death. Its barbaric. I have to agree with Maher on this.

dDave

V.I.P.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I heard it today. Great stuff. I love the nutty idea a lot of people have that Christianity is evil and violent like Islam. Its such a childish and ignorant thing to say. Mahr is great on this.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't really watch Maher anymore. I don't mind him leaning heavily left, what bothers me is the excessive use of vulgarity. I find him uncouth and generally find those who use that much vulgarity to be uneducated and ignorant.

That said, I do agree with him about his views on Islam. While there are nuts of every religion, and no religion at all, the comparison between Christianity and Islam is just plain ignorant.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This man doesn't agree with Maher. Which he is right about one thing, female genital mutilation is a African thing more than a Muslim thing. Unless someone knows of it being practiced outside of Africa.

However the Muslims do many things to women, and others, that I don't find acceptable and is just as wrong and barbaric as mutilating women's genitals. Too bad he couldn't touch on that.

Reza Aslan slams Bill Maher’s ‘facile’ attacks on Islam: His thinking is ‘not very sophisticated’

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I don't really watch Maher anymore. I don't mind him leaning heavily left, what bothers me is the excessive use of vulgarity. I find him uncouth and generally find those who use that much vulgarity to be uneducated and ignorant.

That said, I do agree with him about his views on Islam. While there are nuts of every religion, and no religion at all, the comparison between Christianity and Islam is just plain ignorant.
I'm the same way. I enjoy good liberal arguments but Maher and Jon Stewart can't construct a sentence without dropping the F-bomb or much worse. What I find even more annoying about Stewart is his audience has the mentality of 5th graders. Stewart can say anything that has the F-word and his audience thinks its the funniest thing ever said.
"WOW-He just made a funny joke about G. W. Bush's last name and female body parts, that's the funniest thing I've ever heard!"
I don't know if Maher gets a more intelligent crowd or not, I haven't seen his new show enough to say.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Maher graduated from Cornell, so I don't think he's uneducated. I know you're not talking about him specifically though, and generally I agree with you about people who swear excessively. He is a comedian and an entertainer more so than a political commentator or news anchor though, and that's just how most comedians are. For some reason a lot of people find vulgarity funny.