Bill Gates Unleashes Mosquitoes on Crowd

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Bill Gates--a guy famous for having money because of a window or something--let loose a bunch of Mosquitoes on the crowd of the ever-interesting TED talks to teach the crowd about malaria or something, but mostly because he can. I personally rate this as awesome and it proves Bill Gates has a sense of levity and isn't all dead inside, but mostly I just like ridiculous stunts.

Morin wrote on his Twitter account that Gates released the bugs after saying, "not only poor people should experience this," Gawker reported.
Twitter reports: Microsoft CEO Bill Gates lets loose mosquitoes at TED conference

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Well I guess if you have the money you can do anything you want, I would hate to see the lawsuits form this if anyone actually contracts anything from the mosquito bites.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Now that's worse than a Rick Roll. :lol: That would be so annoying.

It's hilarious though and more power to him for pulling it off. He better hope none of those mosquitoes are carrying malaria. I wonder if he could be sued for it if they were.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
So what was the accomplishment by doing that? Is he knocking the seriousness of Malaria by saying "Heres a bunch of mosquitos... enjoy some creeping death" or what? Yeah its a random stunt, but I just dont get it to be honest.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
The point was most likely to surprise and amuse folks. It obviously created an immediate buzz (that is a terrible pun and wholly unintentional), which just cracking some odd joke during his talk or having a really clever graphic or something, probably wouldn't have. I know I'm going to watch his talk when it gets tossed up on the internet now.

Edit: You know.... I shouldn't even have to explain the point of unleashing a swarm of mosquitoes on people. Questioning it means thinking way too hard about it. Now, if Gates went batshit and released malaria-infected mosquitoes... well, that's actually pretty funny too in a dark kinda way.

Last edited:

ILOVEUSA911

Registered Member
I'm not really getting the point of doing this. There are many ways to educate people on the dangers of malaria without unleashing a gazillion mosquitos on them.

There are other diseases that mosquitos carry besides malaria, such as West Nile Virus. Not sure if this was a good idea, or why he felt the need to do this. Maybe just because he can. Glad I wasn't there.:confused:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wouldn't have minded being there. I've always wanted to meet Bill Gates anyway. So I get a few mosquito bites in the process. It's all good. :lol: