Bill Gates Unleashes Mosquitoes on Crowd

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by ExpectantlyIronic, Feb 5, 2009.

1. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Bill Gates--a guy famous for having money because of a window or something--let loose a bunch of Mosquitoes on the crowd of the ever-interesting TED talks to teach the crowd about malaria or something, but mostly because he can. I personally rate this as awesome and it proves Bill Gates has a sense of levity and isn't all dead inside, but mostly I just like ridiculous stunts.

Twitter reports: Microsoft CEO Bill Gates lets loose mosquitoes at TED conference

2. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I rate this awesome to the power of win.

3. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Well I guess if you have the money you can do anything you want, I would hate to see the lawsuits form this if anyone actually contracts anything from the mosquito bites.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Now that's worse than a Rick Roll. :lol: That would be so annoying.

It's hilarious though and more power to him for pulling it off. He better hope none of those mosquitoes are carrying malaria. I wonder if he could be sued for it if they were.

5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

So what was the accomplishment by doing that? Is he knocking the seriousness of Malaria by saying "Heres a bunch of mosquitos... enjoy some creeping death" or what? Yeah its a random stunt, but I just dont get it to be honest.

6. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

The point was most likely to surprise and amuse folks. It obviously created an immediate buzz (that is a terrible pun and wholly unintentional), which just cracking some odd joke during his talk or having a really clever graphic or something, probably wouldn't have. I know I'm going to watch his talk when it gets tossed up on the internet now.

Edit: You know.... I shouldn't even have to explain the point of unleashing a swarm of mosquitoes on people. Questioning it means thinking way too hard about it. Now, if Gates went batshit and released malaria-infected mosquitoes... well, that's actually pretty funny too in a dark kinda way.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  7. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

Man, I'm so glad Bill Gates has become an eccentric rich guy.

8. ILOVEUSA911

ILOVEUSA911 Registered Member

I'm not really getting the point of doing this. There are many ways to educate people on the dangers of malaria without unleashing a gazillion mosquitos on them.

There are other diseases that mosquitos carry besides malaria, such as West Nile Virus. Not sure if this was a good idea, or why he felt the need to do this. Maybe just because he can. Glad I wasn't there.:confused:

9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I wouldn't have minded being there. I've always wanted to meet Bill Gates anyway. So I get a few mosquito bites in the process. It's all good. :lol:

10. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

I doubt people will even try. If they do Bill has the power and influence to make it go away. Why bother with a court case?