Bill Gates is no longer the world's richest man!

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by Mirage, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Wow. I just found out about this:

Money Complex » Bill Gates Bumped to #2 Richest Man

Bill Gates is now #2. The first is now Carlos Slim who owns a cell phone service provider in Mexico that is obviously doing quite well...

Very interesting day indeed. Gates was #1 for 13 years and then got a stroke of bad luck. At least he had a good run. :)

He's giving a lot of money to charity lately too though so I wonder just how much he would have if he kept it all for himself?

2. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I always thought that Warren Buffet was the richest person cause I have been hearing about him lately. I think Bill Gates would of still been up there if he didn't donate to charity but it's nice of him to do that. If I had a lot of money like him, I would probably do the same.

Time to start investing in Enron so I can be a billionaire. :D

3. RenewalVentures

RenewalVentures Registered Member

This doesn't even count the combined Walton family - heirs to the Wal-Mart chain. If you add them all together, the statistics look quite different.

4. pindra

pindra New Member

I do agree with you renewalventures, Bill Gates become the richest man in the world, when Sam Walton passed away. Even after 13 years on top, Bill Gates riches which is 50 Billion something, cannot match Sam Walton riches which was 75 billion something..

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I wonder how much the Walton family is worth right now. Does anybody know?

6. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

$82.5 billion, somewhere around $16 billion each. It's said that the Rockefeller and other large fortunes from that time may be larger, but it's private information now.

7. Quann2008

Quann2008 New Member

wow i did not know that bill gates is the second richest man well i guess you cant be at the top forever but i always thought that the walton family would be the ones to hit number one well thanks for that

8. Phoenix

Phoenix Fee-nix

good lord...that is one heck of alot of money :shocked: ...geez. I would be inclined to give some away...but I can only speak for myself.

9. bishop_kain

bishop_kain Registered Member

Wow, a Cell phone company owner is the richest man in the world now. Poor gates, If he didn't donate so much money, he just might have stayed the richest man. Still, it's a nice thing to donate for a cause other than your own life.

10. zurce55

zurce55 New Member

It was a matter of time that this would happen. The world is no longer revolving around the OS systems. As a matter of fact, the next richest person will come from China.