Bill Clinton?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Babe_Ruth, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I was curious what you guys thought of Bill Clinton when he was President, do you believe he did a good job? What were some of your likes and dislikes of the things he did while being charge of the United States?

Thoughts and explanations.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009

2. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

Since im not an US citizen i can't go in deep, but as far as international affairs i loved how he handled things, specially how he dealt with Iraq. Economy wise at least from the outside things looked great.

Mirage likes this.
  3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

He left us with a huge surplus and he had great international flair and communication. That being said, he was also a playboy which did not help his image very much. I liked the guy and I hope we have more like him in the future.

Mirage likes this.
  4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

He was dealt a pretty good hand with the economy flourishing from the dot com boom and to his credit, he didn't screw it up.

Overall he was a pretty good president, unemployment was down and taxes stayed relatively low. He initiated some welfare reform, although I wonder if he would have had he not had a Republican Congress. I'd also point out there were numerous factors in balancing the budget, ie, he had a Republican led Congress, the accounting rules were changed after he left office.....but all in all not bad domestically.

As far as something I thought he failed in, I would have to say the biggest would be how he handled the WTC bombing in 1993. He treated it as a criminal action instead of an act of war. The FBI did the investigation (instead of the CIA) and under then federal law, they were unable to share any of this information to the CIA or the information could be held inadmissable in a court of law. Thus, by the time the trial of Ramzi Yousef was held and the information could then be dessiminated, the CIA was years behind terrorist groups, and we all know how that ended up hurting us on 9/11. That's not to say 9/11 was his fault, only that he didn't take the terrorist threats seriously enough.

Mirage likes this.
  5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I more or less agree with CO. I didn't agree with all of his policies, and there were one or two things he should have handled better, but overall he was alright.

6. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Let's put it this way: he was better than George Bush.

However, he was handed a lot of things, like CO said. The dot com boom is probably the nicest thing to happen to a president in a long time, and he gets some credit for upholding that economy, but I don't by everyone that says he personally "stimulated" the economy and made the surplus. He may have tried to nudge it here or there, but mostly the economic surplus was result of the dot com boom and that alone.

As far as foreign policy goes I'm a little hit or miss on it. I think he played a crucial part in helping America stay out of some serious conflict, however, at the sametime I think he played too much of the "best friend" role. There were a lot of world wide tragedies that occured during his presidency that we didn't help out with or help stop. Essentially, in an odd way he made america almost an isolationist state. (Yeah that helped our economy, but I'm not a huge fan of these psuedo-isolationist periods.)

7. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

CO hit the nail on the head. what really shames me was Monica Lewinsky, the fact that Americans at the time made such a big deal about it, and threatened to impeach him for it. it was totally ridiculous. It is in no way under the Constitution cheating on his wife and harrasing a inturn "Treason, Bribery, or other high crime." Its disappointing, though that in no way reflects him.

He was by far the most charismatic president I have seen, as much as Theodore Roosevelt, or FDR, and more so than Obama. He was a great guy, he enjoyed junk food, and made a show of it, with spectacular trips to Arbies, McDonalds, and Penn State for Ice Cream (great ice cream by the way). He was a guy whom Americans could relate to, and had a solid political philosophy to boot. He was the most satisfying president in recent memory. And extremely successful. It was a good way to close the 20st century. I only wish the 21st Century thus far could have been so happy

8. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Well, technically, he was impeached for perjury, not for the affair. If he hadn't been involved in the Paula Jones sexual harrassment lawsuit, his deposition never would have been taken and it never would have happened. Perjury is a felony, btw.

9. FindMuck

FindMuck Registered Member

I'm a Serb who's mother was killed in the NATO bombings, I can only like him so much if you catch my drift. Foreign policy aside (as horrific as it was) I think he did good things economically for the US and people made much to big a deal about Lewinsky...so he cheated on his wife...it happens all the time...it really has no bearing on how well he can run a country, and I think its hilarious that the republicans who condemned his actions are getting busted for the same thing now. Overall: he was a decent president for the US, but in my view, I can never forgive him for what he did to my people.

10. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

From your point of view, what was that war really all about? How did oil play into it?