Biking

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by AngelsPeak, Mar 5, 2010.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Now that the weather seems to be taking a turn for the better, I've been looking forward to lugging my bike out of the basement.
    I only really got into bike riding last year and found some amazing paths to ride. My longest outing so far has been about 35 miles.
    I have a goal this summer of logging no less than 500 miles total, but am hoping I have time to do a lot more than that.
    Anyone else into biking? It would be kind of fun to see how many total miles the bike riders of GF can log before the summer ends.:nod:

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm not a fan. I probably would enjoy it on relatively flat paths, but mountain biking is for the birds. I see these people whiz past me when I go hiking and can't help but think they're completely insane. It might be nice to go at one of the Metroparks, though.

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Where do you hike? I would love to go with you one weekend this summer.

There are better bike paths than hiking ones on my side of town. I do need to invest in a helmet and bike light though, especially since I plan on doing most of my rides in the wee morning hours.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I prefer paved paths for biking, mostly because I can go faster. Out here though there aren't any paved paths. Just dirt trails. They are alright most of the time and I don't mind them but I just don't get out on them much.

I bike for the exercise and not necessarily the scenery, so most of the time I will be just fine with a stationary bike. I usually go around 20 miles in an hour or so if I am biking as the main part of my routine that day. Generally I don't bike more than 15 minutes a day though.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

at the Pinckney State Rec Area. It's a state park, about 20 minutes from my house. the Potawotami Trail (I don't do the Poto but it's at the same location)

6. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Ohhhh...Pinckney! I've been there a few times for the Terrorfied Forest and a weekend art class for haunts! Of course I'd know it for that!:lol:

7. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

If I had a bike I would probably ride it quite a bit. There's several decent paved and dirt trails in the area. I'd be more interested in road biking than mountain biking though, and the roads here are too dangerous. Too much traffic. If I get another gym membership I'll settle for riding the stationary bike.

I bet there are a ton of great roads to bike on out there. Do they allow bikes on the road up Pikes Peak? That would be INSANE. I know they don't allow walking on the road, so bikes are probably banned too.

8. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I bike tons. I usually get my bike out before the snow finishes melting even.

I think my longest bike trip is about 30 miles. But I think it might have gone further when I biked to my moms place(my place too right now hehe) from winnipeg. I'll have to map it out on google earth once I get home.

I mostly bike to get from one place or another, but now that I have a new bike, I can bike for excersise and fun this year.

I gotta remember to repack my bearings this spring too. the oil they come with from the factory is sure to have run out by now. Any of you guys do your own repairs?

9. k3rm0r

k3rm0r Registered Member

I use my bike for everything when the snow is gone. does that count :)?

10. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

So I calculated it out, and from my old apartment to mom's is only 31.23 miles. Dang, I was hoping it'd be more than that. Only takes me about an hour per 10 miles, which is wierd considering my average speed is 20mph. I guess with wind resistance, it knocks off your actual speed compared to your pedaling speed. Man I hate wind.

To bike from the city to my church was 30 miles. Pretty much for the whole summer of sundays I had the wind against me on the way home.