Biggio reveals '07 will be last season

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

HOUSTON -- Over the course of baseball history, very few players leave the game on their own terms. Sometimes, injuries force them out. Often, their skills have eroded but they just can't bring themselves to call it a career. So they hang on for the sake of hanging on, until no one wants them.

Craig Biggio had a different plan. He wanted to go of his own volition, and he's doing just that. On Tuesday, Biggio revealed he's retiring from baseball, effective upon the conclusion of the 2007 season.
    Sept. 30 will mark Biggio's final game, ending a potential Hall of Fame career that spanned 20 years and produced more than 3,000 hits, in excess of 650 doubles, nearly 300 homers and six postseason appearances.
    Biggio is grateful to be one of the few to leave the game with dignity, but that's just one of a myriad of emotions that have gripped him since he made this decision months ago. This is an incredibly sad time for the second baseman, and the next two months will be understandably difficult. "I love the game," Biggio said. "I'm going to miss putting my feet in the spikes every day. I'm going to miss the dads coming up to you and thanking you for the way you played the game, the little kids coming up to you and asking for your autograph, seeing them smile and having a good time at the game. I'm going to miss all of that."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070723&content_id=2103861&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

2. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

It'll be a great loss to professional baseball. Biggio has been one of the hardest playing men in baseball since the days of Rose. His dedication to the game and to the Astros was made clear when as a top notch catcher he was asked to play second base to help the team, and did so without reservation. He's one of my all time favorite players and I'll miss not being able to see him play.

Hoosier.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

He's a player that lives it out on the field, he's a great hitter, especially when it comes to extra bases it, he's been loyal to the Houston family since he entered the league through the best times and the bad times.

The funny things as well that yesterday he won the Astros game by hitting a Grand Slam. It was a sad and good day for him yesterday.

4. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

He's truly one of the best players to come out of the MLB in the recent years. His dedication to his team was an inspiration and his ability on the field was hard to match and he deserves to go out in style.

5. teeps11

teeps11 Guest

It will be sad to see Biggio leaving the MLB. He was a very good player in the league for a long time. At the same time, it is good to see him retiring on his own terms, rather than keep playing until he is not good enough to be a starter anymore or something like that.