• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Biggest upset in history of sports?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's been a lot of upsets in the history of sports, in your opinion which one is the biggest? It would be from a playoff series, it could be a single game. It doesn't matter from what sport it is either, it could be from Curling to Cricket. Thoughts?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Being a Boston fan, I have to go with the Yankee Choke in 2004. One of the greatest upsets in any major American sport. The Red Sox accomplished what only four or five other teams in the MLB, NHL, and NBA have ever done and that's come back from a 3-0 deficit.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know if you could actually call that an upset since the Red Sox were a great team and won the Wild Card that year, but to each his own. For me it's probably between Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson, I think the odds were 42-1 for Tyson, and I have to say Team U.S.A beating the Soviet Union in the Olympics, no one gave them a chance to even challenge them, since they were such a power house.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I don't know if you could actually call that an upset since the Red Sox were a great team and won the Wild Card that year, but to each his own. For me it's probably between Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson, I think the odds were 42-1 for Tyson, and I have to say Team U.S.A beating the Soviet Union in the Olympics, no one gave them a chance to even challenge them, since they were such a power house.
And how many people do you think expected the Sox to beat the Yankees in three straight or do I have to repeat the numbers again?

What part of "upset" is not seen in that?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I wouldn't say it was the biggest in boxing history, but a rather big one was the Tyson - Holyfield fights. Started off with Holyfield's frequent head butting, which resulted in a rematch. In which Tyson decided to get even by biting both of his ears, one of which hard enough to take a chunk out.

It's during the rematch that people came close to rioting due to the confusion from the sudden stoppage of the match, and the subsequent decision announcement.

wooly

I am the woolrus
Biggest upset i remember is Ireland beating Pakistan in the cricket world cup.

I remember most people at the time didn't even know we had a cricket team! Then we went out and beat one of the biggest teams in the sport.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Ah, biggest upset in the history of sports?

When British forces decided it was a good idea to go into an Irish football stadium to fire upon the team and the spectators.

Oh, you think I'm joking?

The Dublin Gaelic football team was scheduled to play the Tipperary team later the same day in Croke Park, the Gaelic Athletic Association's major football ground. Despite the general unease in Dublin as news broke of the killings, a war-weary populace continued with life. Approximately 5,000 spectators went to Croke Park for the Gaelic football match between Dublin and Tipperary, which began thirty minutes late, at 3:15 p.m.

Meanwhile, outside the Park, unseen by the crowd, British security forces were approaching and preparing to raid the match. A convoy of troops drove in from the northwest, along Clonliffe Road, while a convoy of police and Auxiliaries approached the Park from the south or Canal end. Their orders were to surround the grounds, guard the exits, and search every man in the Park. The authorities later stated that their intention was to announce by megaphone that all males leaving the stadium would be searched and that anyone leaving by other means would be shot. But for some reason, shots were fired as soon as the police convoy reached the stadium, at 3:25 p.m.

Some of the police later claimed that they were fired on first by IRA sentries, but this has never been proven. Correspondents for the Manchester Guardian and Britain's Daily News interviewed eyewitnesses, and concluded that the "IRA sentries" were actually ticket-sellers: "It is the custom at this football ground for tickets to be sold outside the gates by recognised ticket-sellers, who would probably present the appearance of pickets, and would naturally run inside at the approach of a dozen military lorries. No man exposes himself needlessly in Ireland when a military lorry passes by." The police in the convoy's leading cars appear to have jumped out, pursued these men down the passage to the Canal End gate, forced their way through the turnstiles, and started firing rapidly with rifles and revolvers. Ireland's Freeman's Journal reported that, "the spectators were startled by a volley of shots fired from inside the turnstile entrances. Armed and uniformed men were seen entering the field, and immediately after the firing broke out scenes of the wildest confusion took place. The spectators made a rush for the far side of Croke Park and shots were fired over their heads and into the crowd."

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's not an upset Cons, it's more of a comeback. Care to explain how that would be considered an upset? To me an upset is when an underdog team beats a team that is everyone expects to win. For an example, a team that is ranked number one in the March Madness loses to the 16th rank that barely got into the tournament. That to me is an upset. Not everyone expected the Yankees to win that series. I would consider that one of the greatest comebacks in the history of sports.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
It's not the biggest but I can think of the recent US-Spain game at the Football Confed. Who'd have thought? Spain was a shoo-in and they were on the mission of breaking world record win too.