Biggest Problem in the World and Why?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What do you believe is the biggest problem in the world right now?

If possible, how would you fix this problem?

BigBob

Registered Member
I don't believe you can just pin-point one big problem, because it's multiple.

Obviously poverty is a big thing world wide, which can then lead to violence. Both being huge problems in the world. The poor can't afford what they need, so in turn they try and steal what they need so they can survive.

I don't have much time to elaborate right now, so later I'll edit this post.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I think overpopulation is the cause of most of our problems. The other big one is greed. I don't think you can fix either one.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I think overpopulation is the cause of most of our problems.
That actually makes a lot of sense. Overpopulation leads to unemployment, inequality and poverty which leads to many other problems, like crime, greed, etc.

I agree with Bob as well though, it's a bit hard to pin point one single problem as being the biggest problem. But overpopulation is right up there as the root of many other problems.

Gavik

Registered Member
I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I think overpopulation is the cause of most of our problems. The other big one is greed. I don't think you can fix either one.
Not really. It's a resource distribution issue. As countries modernize, birth rates drop. The problem will fix itself. The earth can easily handle 20 or 30 billion people.

Poverty is at the center of the world's problems.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Not really. It's a resource distribution issue. As countries modernize, birth rates drop. The problem will fix itself. The earth can easily handle 20 or 30 billion people.

Poverty is at the center of the world's problems.
Don't you think that poverty is a direct result of over population? There is not enough money to sustain the population. Yes, the earth can easily handle 30 billion, but can the economy?

How long does this modernization of countries take? That is a bit of a broad statement there. Do you know what the culturally accepted birth rate in African countries are? African wives are expected to have more than 4 children. How is that going to drop?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The earth can easily handle 20 or 30 billion people.
While preserving wilderness areas and wild animal populations? Very unlikely. Not to mention the water supply is already stretched pretty thin in the western U.S. Then eventually you'd have issues with food, power, infrastructure, waste, etc.

Gavik

Registered Member
Don't you think that poverty is a direct result of over population?
No. It isn't a direct result of anything. There are hundreds, probably thousands of variables affecting it. Doesn't matter how many kids you have, you can still be poor.

There is not enough money to sustain the population. Yes, the earth can easily handle 30 billion, but can the economy?
The economy is man made. It can change. Your supposed limitation is a result of a small oligarchy of the super-rich dominating an exponentially larger group of the super-poor. I'm not saying to redistribute the wealth equally, but while the economy may be able to handle this, a world with much more than we currently number can't.

How long does this modernization of countries take? That is a bit of a broad statement there. Do you know what the culturally accepted birth rate in African countries are? African wives are expected to have more than 4 children. How is that going to drop?
In a lot of countries, genital mutilation, extremist religious beliefs, homophobia, racism, sexism and arranged marriages are "Culturally accepted" and "expected." Doesn't make it right. Or Permanent.

In India, the "culturally accepted" number of children can be as high as 8. Women don't really want to married off to be baby factories. Men wouldn't either if they didn't think they'd be seen as failures for not doing so. However, in many rural areas international aid groups are empowering women to have a say over this number. Cultures change and modernize. Generally, fewer kids are born.

While preserving wilderness areas and wild animal populations? Very unlikely.
Yet possible.

Not to mention the water supply is already stretched pretty thin in the western U.S. Then eventually you'd have issues with food, power, infrastructure, waste, etc.
All of that can be solved by technology, which is getting better everyday.

I understand where you're coming from. I thought like that for a long time.

The problem is, modern human civilization is incredibly wasteful. But not just wasteful. Among the mentioned "super-rich," there are truly sick people who will spend fortunes to tell you that a better way is not possible, to stamp out any technology that wants to change the system (which they see as cutting into their profits) and keep you poor so they can keep getting richer.

There is a better way, and it is possible.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I agree with you Gavik. I don't consider overpopulation a problem. As time goes on it seems the resources of the Earth are often not as limited as once thought. I used to believe in peak oil, but the more I studied it, I realized there's ample supply of carbon energy to bridge us to something else.

I think the world's biggest problem is oppression. Fix that and other things will fall in place.

Last edited:

Gavik

Registered Member
I agree with you Gavik. I don't consider overpopulation a problem. As time goes on it seems the resources of the Earth are often not as limited as once thought. I used to believe in peak oil, but the more I studied it, I realized there's ample supply of carbon energy to bridge us to something else.
True. Also, since the industrial revolution, humans have progressively switched to fuels that produce fewer pollutants just because they are better.

I think the world's biggest problem is oppression. Fix that and other things will fall in place.
Yes, but it's more complicated than that. People often times look for oppression, find an example, and label it as the problem. You really have to ask: Who is doing the oppressing, who is being oppressed - and most importantly - why?

The truth is, oppression is all around us. Political, military, economic, informational, health-related, all are aspects which can be controlled and used against the everyday man. You can't stop looking for injustice at the first thing you find. In fact, it's often what those doing the oppressing want you to find. The best prison is an invisible one you keep yourself in.