• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Biggest news stories of your lifetime

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What are the biggest news stories of your lifetime? If you're Canadian, it doesn't all need to be Canadian stories. Same thing if you're American, it doesn't only need to be American news stories.

1. 9/11 - Not sure if anything will ever surpass this.

2. OJ Simpson trial/verdict -I was pretty young but I remember this consuming everyone and everything for however long it lasted.

3. Princess Diana crash - Again I was young, but I remember how much attention it got.

4. President Obama elected - Even a youngster like me can tell you how significant this event was.

5. Columbine/Colorado/Newtown gun tragedies -If for nothing else than the debate on gun control and Second Amendment rights

Sabby

I was born in 1984, so I'm going to use some moments, that I may not have appreciated at the time, but were huge on a worldwide scale

1) Berlin Wall / Fall of the U.S.S.R.: I was only 6 when this went down, but once I got older my parents fully explained how monumental this was and how an entire generation had lived in fear of a nuclear disaster.

2) Nuclear explosion at Chernobyl: In the 1970's there was a worldwide energy crisis as the Saudi's were putting an embargo on their oil. Gas and energy prices skyrocketed and the world was looking for an alternative. Nuclear energy was the proposed solution and hundreds of plants were built around the world. When Chernobyl happened it sent shockwaves throughout the world as we realised that Nuclear energy could be deadly and there was a widespread panic that we may never be able to find a safe, alternative form of energy to gas/oil.

3) Challenger blows up: The NASA space program had been declining ever since the U.S.A landed on the moon. The program cost too much, we've already been to the moon etc. etc. When Challenger exploded in 1986, the space program was almost scrapped completely, not to mention that millions of people had to watch it live on TV. I still don't think the Program has fully recovered.

4) Nelson mandella released from prision after 25 Years in 1994: Probably the biggest civil rights leaders since MLK jr. Mandella was a crusader for the liberation and integration of blacks into South African society. He was/is a smart man and used diplomacy and peaceful resitance to combat racism. He cost him 25 years in jail, but the changes he made are immeasurable.

5) Famine in Ethopia / Live AID. 400,000 + deaths in Ethiopia. Although famine had occured before and still does, this really opened the world's eyes to the plight of millions of Africans. Since then Billions of dollars and thousands of volunteers have dedicated their lives to helping the world out. We've a long way to go, but that ereally opened the world's eyes.

6) Death of Diana/Mother Theresa in the fall of 1997: Two renowned figures, who used their fame and influence to be an ambassadors of hope and to bring comfort and awareness of the plights of the needy.

I could go on and on but I'll stop now as I could write pages and pages. I will give the 7th spot to the 9/11 tragedy. I do so, because it was indeed a tragedy and one that will be defined as the moment of a generation. But I must respectfully submit, that even though it was truly a tragedy, the U.S. media machine and government for that matter has prostituted it for all it's worth. I can never stress enough that the death of 3000+ people can never be belittled, but I think my other 6 choices are more deserving. I hope I haven't offended anyone and please fell free to disagree and/or provide comments.

Thanks!

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
9/11 as to be number 1 on my list as that's the moment I truly understood what terrorism was

President Obama elected: this as to be my 1b as this was unthinkable for the longest time, and it finnally happened.

Princess Diana's death: too you to understand the full extent of this tragedy.

Michael Jackson death: this one is one that hurt me deeply. Being such a big fan it caused me great pain when his death was announced. Greatest entertainer of all time.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Dickey's Flow said:
Michael Jackson death:7 this one is one that hurt me deeply. Being such a big fan it caused me great pain when his death was announced. Greatest entertainer of all time.
I don't believe I left that one off my list. I remember when it happened, me and my brother(Dickey's Flow) were coming home from a Baseball game and our phone started to get tons of messages. All our friends knew how much we liked MJ so they all messaged us that he passed away. Then me and Dickey's Flow turned on the television and we couldn't believe it. Lost one of my idols. Definitely gone too soon.

Testing

Registered Member
What about when they killed bin Laden? That was pretty big.

Apart from that', all the usuals...9/11, Diana's death, MJs death.

For me though, it would be the NZ earthquakes a few years back. I'm from there so I watched those news stories like crazy whilst I worried about my family. Don't think I ever followed a news story that in depth

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Bizzy said:
Dickey's Flow said:
Michael Jackson death:7 this one is one that hurt me deeply. Being such a big fan it caused me great pain when his death was announced. Greatest entertainer of all time.
I don't believe I left that one off my list. I remember when it happened, me and my brother(Dickey's Flow) were coming home from a Baseball game and our phone started to get tons of messages. All our friends knew how much we liked MJ so they all messaged us that he passed away. Then me and Dickey's Flow turned on the television and we couldn't believe it. Lost one of my idols. Definitely gone too soon.
Still remember it like it was yesterday. Lost for words and just trying to understand how it could've happened. I'm just glad his death was celebrated with positivity instead of all the negative that was surrounding him before he died.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
9/11 easily tops off my list. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when it happened. Others would include:

- Princess Diana's death
- The Paul Bernardo-Karla Homolka trial
- Tupac Shakur's murder
- Matthew Shephard's murder
- The Y2K scare
- Columbine

That's all that comes to mind for now.