• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Biggest genociders in history

Which nation-state/regime was the biggest genocider in terms of people/nations killed

• Britain (England, UK, Great Britain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spain

• Russia

• Alexander the Great

• Mongols

• France

• Portugal

• Japan

• Islamic Caliphates

• Total voters

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Historically speaking, which regime/nation-state was the largest and most prolific genocider in terms of both numbers of people killed, and number of cultures/nations destroyed?
Got this from another forum.

Please explain your reason behind the answer.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
I have to say WW2 Germany. Including the Holocaust, some 50Million people plus died in the War in Europe.

konboye

Registered Member
And the winner is... Germany. It was sinister, racist, and a total blasphemy to mankind. Mankind showed it humanity and humility in bring Hitler and nazi Germany down.

Sim

Registered Member
Agreed, it was definitely Nazi Germany.

Maybe the idea to hate one ethnic minority or a neighbor people and finally murder it was not new or unique to Nazi Germany, other regimes had such ideas too throughout history. But the abominable perfection the Nazis used to carry it through, the systematic machinery of mass murder, makes Nazi Germany unique. Other regimes either had not the same means for encompassing genocide, or did not use it. No other genocidal regime approached their genocide this planfully and systematically, and no other regime was that "successful" in making it become reality.

Some may say Stalin's USSR or Communism in general is responsible for more deaths and more murder. And maybe it's true Communism indeed killed more people. But for their defense compared to Nazi Germany, it has to be said that in case of Communism, most of the murders were not a planned genocide and the Communists had no racist motives most of the time. Most of those killed in the name of Communism were murders that are "normal" in oppressive dictatorships, against actual or suspected opposition against the government. Many others were the result not of planful persecution, but horribly failed policies (like the many who died following severe famine, which was caused by a nationalization and collectivision of the agrarian sector).

So Nazi Germany easily is the most horrible genocidal regime in history.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I do agree Germany and or Russia have the largest numbers of documented genocide, both close to 21 million innocents.

But of sheer extinction of a people... that honor must belong to the USA killing over 12 million American Indians leaving only about 200,000 in existence. By this percentage, the USA is by far number 1.

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
I do agree Germany and or Russia have the largest numbers of documented genocide, both close to 21 million innocents.

But of sheer extinction of a people... that honor must belong to the USA killing over 12 million American Indians leaving only about 200,000 in existence. By this percentage, the USA is by far number 1.
I was just about to say exactly that. Thumbs up.

arrojado248

I'm not sure about Germany. Mao Zedong has killed about 60m people. Not direct, but by creating famines. Or am I wrong?

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
What about Mao - Tse Tung he killed anywhere between 49 to 78 million people, most of them indirectly due to his overpopulation views. I consider what he did genocide.

stevenfermi

Registered Member
Is to genocide even a verb? But yeah, the biggest "genocider" in history was either Mao Tse-tung, or the Mongols.