Biggest choke of all-time

D

DirtDog

Just for fun......What team had the Biggest choke of all-time???? Team, Year, and explain yourself!

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think this is almost a no-brainer.

The Yankees
2004 ALDS

They blew a 3-0 game lead! It was only the second time (I believe) in the history of any major sport where a team has blown a 3-0 lead. The Yanks simply fell apart and the Red Sox had a miracle recovery.

D

DirtDog

Maybe we should change this to Top 3....That has to be number 1!!

Gotta have the '86 Red Sox in there too!! Damn Buckner!!

N

natnsoxfan

Eh, I wouldn't really call it a choke, not yet anyways. They're still in it, and that is a REALLY strong division, every team in the division is in the race except for the Giants.

B

Big_Mac

Maybe we should change this to Top 3....That has to be number 1!!

Gotta have the '86 Red Sox in there too!! Damn Buckner!!
its funny, i really don't blame buckner for that loss. i mean, it was game six, they would have never gotten into that situation if it wasn't for stanley (who was responsible, imo) and even if buckner gets the groundball, does he beat wilson to the bag?

#1 has to be the yanks. not only were they up three-oh, they had the sox on the ropes many times and couldn't finish.

SHOELESSJOE3

Registered Member
its funny, i really don't blame buckner for that loss. i mean, it was game six, they would have never gotten into that situation if it wasn't for stanley (who was responsible, imo) and even if buckner gets the groundball, does he beat wilson to the bag?

#1 has to be the yanks. not only were they up three-oh, they had the sox on the ropes many times and couldn't finish.
Buckner gets a bad rap. There was some terrible relief pitching by the Bosox. They were up 5-3 in the 10th inning when Calvin Schiraldi came in relief. He retired the first two batters then gave up 3 singles and one run scored.

Bob Stanley his replacement had two strikes on Mookie Wilson then threw what was "called a wild pitch" that let in the tying run. In the books that was called a wild pitch but if one looks at that pitch, the catcher should have caught or at least knocked down that pitch, it was not that wide. Should have been a passed ball, what ever the tying run scored on that pitch.

All that led up to the ground ball that Mookie hit and went through Buckner's legs. It was not all Bill Buckner, forgotten by many is what led up to that ground ball.

Schiraldi with two outs allows 3 consecutive hits. All he had to do was retire one of those three batters. That wild pitch by Stanley, what I believe was the catcher's fault looked like a passed ball.

Terrible inning for the Bosox but it was not all Buckner's fault.

D

DirtDog

Alot of times a bad play leads to many more...
Cubs will tell you that aka:series vs. marlins