Big twists in a video game?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Clear_Note, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Clear_Note

Clear_Note Demon King/Sith Warrior

Name a huge twist in a video game that otherwise completely changed everything, or one that you want to see happen.

So far I've never seen a game where it turns out that if you lose the last fight/mission, you get the bad cutscene where the enemies successfully win and you move on to a dark segment of the story. It's always when you lose, it's just game over; how come there can't be a game where the storyline is different based on whether you won or lost a certain important mission/fight?

2. Gorgutter

Gorgutter Registered Member

KOTOR has a pretty bitchin' twist.

3. Breathless

Breathless Registered Member

Well, because losing a fight woul usually result in your character dying.
    Don't get me wrong, it would be cool to play as a ghost... but it would ruing the feel of a lot of games.

I think Mass Effect has a really thought provoking twist. Where it turns out Saren, the main antagonist at that point, isn't quite as evil as he's made out to be at first.

4. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I HATE twists in video games, mainly because of these two:

Star Ocean 2 (PS1) - It was all fine and dandy until...
    You ran into the "Wise Men" out of nowhere. You were suppose to investigate the glove and then you bump into these knuckleheads. That, and when you found out Rena was from planet Nede.

And...:

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (PS2) - Again, it was fine and dandy until...
    You found you that you're a character in a video game. What. The. Heck!? That was so anti-climatic to get to that point in the game. No wonder so many people quit playing after finding that out.

I hope they stop with the twist in the Star Ocean series. I dislike them. A lot!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  5. Victorman

Victorman Registered Member

I think I saw something like you said in a game I just don't remember in whitch game it was
    Maybe silent hill

6. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Prince of Persia 2 had a good twist IMO:

That sandwraith creature you see earlier in the game actually turned out to be the Prince in the past, because he found this fate-defying mask.

7. orbitalcows

orbitalcows Registered Member

I think the standard twist is to find out that you or one of your allies is actually the villain.

8. StarWarp

StarWarp New Member

In Star Wars The Force Unleashed when you actually learn that Palpatine and Vader were responsible for the creation of the Rebel Alliance! What irony!