Big Evil: Most Inconsistent Performer of '02?

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Although 2002 was a return to the main event for the first time in years. Looking back, I can't help but feel that 02 was a terrible year for The Undertaker, performance wise. Looking at just PPV wise, he produced some of the worst matches for the wrestlers he competed with. Lets just look at four top superstars that Taker wrestled in 2002:

The Rock: In a year that Rocky stole the show with Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania and put on an impressive first main event ppv with Brock Lesnar. However, their No Way Out match was overly long and easily The Rock's worst PPV match of 2002. It doesn't help matters that this was a simple meaningless month long feud to hold both men over until their big WM matches.

Steve Austin: While 2002 was far from an impressive year for Austin, he did put on some fair to good matches on PPV. However, a 30 minute match vs The Undertaker in the very first Raw main event on PPV turned out to be extremely slow paced and dull match. Now, Austin and Taker had had an up and down past. They've had great matches (Summerslam 1998) and terrible matches (Over the Edge 1999). For this match though, they could of easily cut the match length in half or even longer.

Hulk Hogan:
    Hogan might of just had hip surgery less than a year prior to their Judgement Day match, but that didn't stop The Rock, Steve Austin (2 on 3 tag match), Kurt Angle and William Regal. Hulk Hogan's unplanned World title reign came to end in a rather quiet and insignificant match.

Triple H: Similar to Steve Austin, Triple H and The Undertaker had wrestled several times throughout the years. However, their Insurrection match is perhaps their worst outing to date. What is most surprising about it is the fact that their Raw Number 1 Contenders Match (Raw after Summerslam) and their Undisputed Title match at King of the Ring were somewhat enjoyable.

In the midst of all these terrible matches, The Undertaker had MOTYC's with Brock Lesnar (No Mercy) and with Kurt Angle and The Rock in a triple threat at Vengeance.

2. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Out of those matches listed the only one that I have actually seen was the Undertaker vs Hulk Hogan and yeah, it was pretty bad. Hogan couldn't take a chokeslam so it made it difficult. Maybe Taker was still getting used to having no hair? :lol:

I'm not sure what was problem was but we can't always have good matches. At least he was still at the top of the card. Very interesting observations though.

3. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

I haven't seen any of these matches, probably because I tuned out after Wrestlemania of that year.

I like the way you took these matches and sort of analyzed it's faults, which is nice.