• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Big East wants to Expand Football by Two Teams

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
The Big East is talking about expanding their football membership by two teams, from 8 to 10.

Big East Conference announces plan for football expansion - ESPN

I like this move by the Big East to strengthen their football conference, but it will be tricky, since I doubt they will want to expand their basketball conference as well, which already sits at 16 teams. So offering a football-only membership to teams will be tricky for teams like TCU, who I am sure would love to join the BE for football but I doubt the MWC would let them leave for football and stay for other sports.

One option is Notre Dame, who is in the Big East for every sport but football. If I am the Big East, I will offer Notre Dame and ultimatum: join for football, or leave the conference. This would either fill a void for football, or create an opening for another to join with a full membership because to be honest, what does the Irish contribute to the Big East in any other sport?

Another team that makes sense is Villanova, who already is in the BE for basketball. They are currently third in the coaches poll in the FCS. Another FCS team that could draw interest in Delaware.

As for FBS teams, other then TCU, I would potentially make a run at East Carolina.

Be interesting to see how it plays out.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
There's no way Notre Dame joins the Big East if they passed up on the Big Ten.

TCU is interesting, but makes no sense geographically. The other schools mentioned just make me scratch my head. Temple? Villanova? Central Florida? You don't strengthen your conference by adding mediocre mid-major or FCS schools. Yes, TCU would boost the conference for football, but not enough to make it competitive with the other AQ conferences.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I agree Echoes, if ND passed up on the B10 they would be less inclined to join the Big East, but it will be interesting to see if they do give them an ultimatum what they would do.

Hard to say what the BE is thinkin' right now. I agree, Villanova etc. doesn't really strengthen their conference at all. We will see I guess.