• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Big Brand Advertising - Unnecessary?

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
For big companies such as, The Coca Cola Company, McDonalds, Ford, Walkers Crisps (UK) and numerous others, do you think advertising is strictly necessary?

They spend millions in advertising costs, yet it seems like a waste. I mean, everyone knows what Coca Cola is, unless you live in a cave, and everyone generally knows if they like it or not. An advert does not influence me in buying it, I buy it if I want it, and always know it is available.
It's not like on the adverts they give you any 'true' indication of just how marvellous their products are, or the taste of it, or what it actually does half the time. I don't think a significant drop in sales would result if these sorts of companies stopped advertising.

I mean, case in point. Cigarettes are not advertised in any shape or form, and haven't been for yonks. In fact, there are more adverts ordering you to stop smoking than to actually go get some. Yet demand for cigarettes is still extremely high, and also it seems that certain brands will reign over others. Lambert & Butler/Richmond/Marlboro in the UK for instance.

So, what do you think? Is advertising for big brands necessary? Do you think pulling the advertising would be detrimental to sales?

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Even if they're big brands, the market is competitive. And I think that they know advertising played a big part why they're so famous. They just have to keep on doing what they're doing to make sure they don't fall down in the ranks of popularity.

MiloIsYum

Registered Member
For big companies such as, The Coca Cola Company, McDonalds, Ford, Walkers Crisps (UK) and numerous others, do you think advertising is strictly necessary?

They spend millions in advertising costs, yet it seems like a waste. I mean, everyone knows what Coca Cola is, unless you live in a cave, and everyone generally knows if they like it or not. An advert does not influence me in buying it, I buy it if I want it, and always know it is available.
It's not like on the adverts they give you any 'true' indication of just how marvellous their products are, or the taste of it, or what it actually does half the time. I don't think a significant drop in sales would result if these sorts of companies stopped advertising.

I mean, case in point. Cigarettes are not advertised in any shape or form, and haven't been for yonks. In fact, there are more adverts ordering you to stop smoking than to actually go get some. Yet demand for cigarettes is still extremely high, and also it seems that certain brands will reign over others. Lambert & Butler/Richmond/Marlboro in the UK for instance.

So, what do you think? Is advertising for big brands necessary? Do you think pulling the advertising would be detrimental to sales?
I always wondered why brands like that did advertise too. But then I thought ... well they wouldn't be doing it for no good reason. It's obviously helping them sell their products. People are very influential beings. And you would most definitely see a significant drop in sales if for example Coke stopped advertising. They don't spend millions of dollars so people can admire the picture of the bottle in the advertisment - if they weren't making back the money they spent in advertising, they would have stopped a long time ago.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The market is competitive, but think what it would do to the advertising industry if they stopped. It would crumble.

So it's probably unnecessary from the viewpoint that they need to make their products known, of course, but it's probably quite necessary to the economy.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I think MacDonald's make enough money to cover their costs, £1.39 for a double cheese burger? Maybe if it was the size of the one i had in florida it'd be worth it, but it's gone in five bites :lol:

Point is, they make enough to cover their costs, plus all the money they make from sponsors too adds up fast.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Advertising is good, no matter how successful your product is. People need to be reminded that your product still exist and that is as good as it used to be or that it's supposed to be even better.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've always wondered this too, but I have to assume there are extensive studies done on this to show that advertising pays off. These companies aren't going to throw their money away for no reason.

And also, cigarettes are advertised in magazines and on billboards.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I've always wondered this too, but I have to assume there are extensive studies done on this to show that advertising pays off. These companies aren't going to throw their money away for no reason.

And also, cigarettes are advertised in magazines and on billboards.
I suppose that is an observation of the UK advertising market. There is nothing promoting cigarettes here, in fact there was a rumour that they were going to enforce a legislation that meant shops could no longer display cigarettes on a gantry or shelf as someone suggested it tempted kids seeing them. They would have to be kept in a drawer or something and served on request. Lunacy to my mind, but that's a side issue...

Nonetheless, I guess the companies must cover their advertising expenditure, yet it just seems weird to me somehow that they should have to promote their products so much. Ah well, I doubt this issue will keep me up at nights ha :)

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
There is a fascinating book called 'No Logo' by Naomi Klein and I can only recommend it highly. It talks about brands transcending the physical produce-market-sell model and become concept brands. Coca-Cola and Nike are two perfect examples. Advertising became more about selling a lifestyle than advertising a product (Nike do not even design or make their own trainers anymore). All these businesses shed the physical side of manufacture and advertising became their biggest concern. These companies are only abou advertising.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
It is estimated that there advertising gets them about 20% of their business and the rest is from word of mouth. 20% may not sound big but it is a huge deal. As been said it is a very competitive market out there and it is wise for these companies to spend billions a year to keep them a float. If they stopped advertising they would probably lose any where between 25-45% of business.