big bang/crunch

martyclark

Registered Member
i dont if this should go under science or what, so i posted it here, its a bit theological, scientific, and philisophical... which accounts for my confusion.

my girlfriend and i were debating whether or not the universe will expand forever, or collapse again under its own gravitational force (crunch).

she said it would crunch and keep expanding and contracting for infinity. she made the argument that since life existing is such a small chance, then it may take close to a million universes to have the chances of it occur. finally, we are alive after a few trillion universes, and we are perceiving the universe we are in until it crunches again.

i said the universe was linear, rather than circle-like. i believe that a divine being banged the universe out in a certain order to allow for life to occur. also, i dont think that the universe will crunch. if gravity hasnt slowed the universe down yet, it will keep expanding forever.

wutcha think?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
What you're asking here is basically do you believe in the big bang or creationism and I can say that I have a hard time believing the universe was crafted by a single humanoid being or whatever you believe. I'm not going to even pretend to have the faintest idea as to what this strange thing we call the universe actually is nor what it's purpose may be. All I know is that I'm alive, there's a good chance I won't come back so I may as well enjoy myself before my time is over.

martyclark

Registered Member
What you're asking here is basically do you believe in the big bang or creationism and I can say that I have a hard time believing the universe was crafted by a single humanoid being or whatever you believe.
no, im saying, assuming the big bang is true (it may or may not be, but for argument's sake we'll assume its true), do you believe in the ever expanding universe or the big crunch?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
But common theory says that the universe will eventually revert and crunch in on itself and explode once more. I don't think I've met someone who thinks the universe will expand forever who isn't a creationist.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I thought the Big Rip (or a Big Freeze or some such) was the most commonly accepted theory at the moment. The only way a crunch is going to happen, without their being some strange undiscovered force to counteract dark energy and the like, would be if the universe is curved. As for the likelihood of life arising, I really don't think we know enough to say that things could have been otherwise. We can say if p and q were different, than life wouldn't have arisen, but if p and q couldn't have been different, then what does that even mean? It seems a variant on the old philosophical question of why there's something rather than nothing.