• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Big Ass Spider

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This spider is so big it would scare the cat. I for sure wouldn't want to get bit by one. They said it was like getting a nail driven in you hand. When I think how I react just seeing the little spiders we have here I would have a heart attack if I saw this one running across my floor. Fortunately they aren't much of a threat to people. Its the little ones that will get you.

Does anyone have any really big spiders where you live? Do you freak out if they are in your house?

Puppy-Sized Spider Surprises Scientist in Rainforest

Goliath encounter: Puppy-sized spider surprises scientist in rainforest - CBS News

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I don't have a problem with house spiders. They serve a very useful purpose and (though I could be wrong about this) it is a good indication of a dry home. However, I am not going to lie if I woke up and this thing was crawling up my wall or sitting on my bed I would reach for something to persuade it to leave me alone.

It amazes me that this thing is so large and so imposing that it is not dangerous to humans and feeds to earthworms, seems like the most most blatant example of overkill I have ever heard!

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
This guy isn't much of a scientist if he's been living in the rain forest for more than 15 years and still thought that the spider rubbing it's leg on it's tummy was "cute". Pretty basic knowledge that tarantulas do that to fend off potential enemies.

The biggest spiders we get here are huntsman spiders and rain spiders. Let's just say there's a reason I don't live in a ground floor apartment. If that thing got in my house, I'd also have to persuade it to leave, by fire. Flames are very persuasive.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know what I hate the most the spider or walking into one of their webs. Webs are hard to get off.

Actually what I hate the most is walking into a web with a big spider in it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thanks Cham now I can dream of big ass spiders coming out of my face.lol

If you really want to hate spiders take a look at one under a microscope, Ugly.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Spiders are among the most fascinating and well adapted creatures in the world.
They are the worlds most skilled engineers and come equipped with one of the worlds strongest and most versatile building materials. They are also incredibly skilled hunters with different species having wildly different techniques. One species that really impresses me in this regard will span a web across two branches, walk half way across, put a drop of a pheromone on the end of a web that he then lowers to a very precise length, then swings it around at a very precise speed. The pheromone is similar to that released by a specific species of female moth to attract a male for mating, and the length of the web and speed of rotation emulate precisely the sound of the beating wings of the female moth. This spiders diet consists solely of male moths of that one species.

If you're open to gaining a newfound respect for our eight legged friends, check out this video.

National Geographic Super Spider - Fascinating Spider Documentary - YouTube

- Chameleon

Here's another cool one featuring the world's smartest spider...

Secrets and Mysteries of Spiders - Full Documentary - Arachnid Lovers - YouTube

Last edited:

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Cham, please do me a solid and put videos like this in spoilers in future and warn sensitive viewers? It's too late for these ones, since my morbid curiosity saw the horrid stills and had to go and watch the videos, like an idiot. :(

Dragon, surprisingly, we only get I think 3 or 4 of the spiders in South Africa that's on that list you posted. I am surprised, in a way, but since we have NO tarantulas, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. :-/