Bible Literacy...

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Darnell, May 22, 2010.

1. Darnell

Darnell Registered Member

Dear Christians,

Do you believe in the Bible as the literal word of God? Or do you pick and choose what to believe is to be taken literally and what is fable.
    Personally, I can't believe people actually take everything in the Bible as literal truth. To me its quite laughable. On the other hand, people who don't take it literal are in quite a predicament. I mean most Christians will say they let the "Holy Spirit" guide them but then the question arises: how do you discern what is the holy spirit and what is just your conscious/sub-conscious mind? So, what do you believe and why. I am not trying to be-little your beliefs, just trying to wrap my head around it.

cheers,

Darnell

Last edited: May 22, 2010

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I don't know how anyone could consider themselves Christian and NOT believe the Bible is the literal word of God. How is it possible to believe some of the Bible but not all of it? How do you pick and choose what to believe and what not to?

3. Darnell

So I assume you are a Christian? If so, how can you believe in it's literal truth in the light of our scientific/technological age? And by literal truth, I am assuming you believe Adam and Eve actually existed, as well as, other stories in the Bible.

4. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

Echoes has a valid point. You simply can't selectively choose what you like to believe in - you might as well as follow your own religion. I think most Christians choose to look at the Bible as a moral guide that teaches a person how to live his life.

In Hinduism, you have the Vedas, the Bhagawad Gita and the epic tales Mahabharata and Ramayana. I personally view them as books of morals. The factual validity isn't easy to discuss.

5. Darnell

This is exactly my point. But no matter how small, most Christians believe in some parts of the Bible as literal truth and other parts as simply stories not to be taken literally. The question then becomes, how does one decipher fact from fiction?

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  6. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

How do you decipher fact from fiction?

I'd say that the fact that it's in the bible deciphers fact from fiction. Just because something can't be explained scientifically doesn't mean that it never happened. I believe that many of these things that can't be explained scientifically are often done by God.

I believe the whole bible to be complete literal truth and I mean it, no exceptions.

7. Darnell

Well then the other half of my question does not apply to you. There is nothing for you to consider. The question for you is, why do you believe the whole Bible as literal truth? Besides the obvious "it says so", which is not a very compelling answer to a non-believer, as other religous texts lay claim to this aswell.

8. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Well if you're looking for an answer to that I suggest that you check out this thread.

http://www.generalforum.com/religion/facts-prove-disprove-bible-72080.html

That's just a small part of it but some amazing points are made in there.

The part about 24,000 originals of the New Testament and the disproving the validity of other texts is why I thought to post that thread at all.

9. Darnell

Those were hardly compbelling arguments at all and I seemed to have missed the part where it disproves the validity of other texts. Besides, I doubt any of these explanations are why you believe in the literal truth of the Bible.

10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I know of many Christians who would consider believing the bible as the literal word of god as rootless fundamentalism that misses the importance of the bible and turns it into little more than a supernatural relic to be worshipped.

As far as I am aware the significance of fact/fiction is not important unless the bible is taken out context. Sadly it often is. The bible is inspired and therefore inspiring; fact or fiction, true or false should not alter that principle.

It was MLK who said; "The Bible is the manger in which the Christ Child is laid" and by that he means that Christianity is about Christ, and not about the structure or validity of the manger.

The biblical scriptures should be understood and not believed. The belief comes from understanding and not from the believing, and that is why what is fact or fiction should not impair the bible as it is supposed to be interpreted. If you choose it all as fact then you undermine the bibles essence as an invitation from Christ, if you pick and choose what is fact and fiction then you contradict the inspired message that leads to Christ. If you reject it all as fiction then just like those who accept is as fact, or those who nitpick your still missing the point...

....and the point is none of it is fact or fiction, as none of it need be seen as fact or fiction. The bible is supposed to be inspired by the Holy Spirit(ie God) to inspire Spirituality(ie find Christ). The bible is not supposed to be a historical record, it is not supposed to be worshipped or believed..... it is supposed to be understood.

The problem is Christians and sceptics alike have forgotten this and are too busy proving, disproving, doubting and infallibly believing what should in its most simplest of forms be seen as a glorified dinner invitation.

Boredie likes this.