• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Beware of Webcam Hacking

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Have you guys heard of people hacking webcams through viruses/malware, etc? I don't know the specifics of it but if you have a webcam, especially a built in one, you should make sure you have anti-virus software installed.

Otherwise, hypothetically somebody could hack in and literally spy on you. It's somewhat rare but I have heard of this happening.

If you have a standalone cam, just turn it to face a wall or something when you aren't using it.

Has anybody else heard about stuff like this happening?

There are apparently people out there who will search for unprotected cams and try to record embarrassing video of people and then blackmail them. It's best to keep your computer protected if you have a cam. Better safe than sorry, right?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
that is insane. I dont even know if my Anti-Virus covers my webcam :hah: Would that be a firewall thing or just some sort of Port I could check to make sure my AV is covering it?
------
Wow, is that seriously possible?

I don't get how it is possible?
I defintely can say its possible. I know I've seen CIT instructors demonstrate how by just getting an IP address and getting through a WEP key they can pretty much see and work on your desktop. Like that remote access type deal but in an intrusion way.

To be honest I'd never even put 2 and 2 together when it came to webcams.... especially built in ones.

Last edited:

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
that is insane. I dont even know if my Anti-Virus covers my webcam :hah: Would that be a firewall thing or just some sort of Port I could check to make sure my AV is covering it?
------

I defintely can say its possible. I know I've seen CIT instructors demonstrate how by just getting an IP address and getting through a WEP key they can pretty much see and work on your desktop. Like that remote access type deal but in an intrusion way.

To be honest I'd never even put 2 and 2 together when it came to webcams.... especially built in ones.
I am defenitely plugging out my webcam now, even though it's always facing the wall.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I saw it on a TV show once. This is worrisome due to naked time.

I have antivirus installed though, so hopefully it covers it. If the light next the cam suddenly comes on, I'll dive for the robe.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Haha, yeah if the light on the cam isn't on then I THINK it's safe to say it's not working. You can never be 100% sure though. Some cameras might have glitches.

I think anti-virus is one thing to keep up to speed on but also make sure you have a firewall enabled. That would be my guess.

The very idea of this possibility would make me want to keep it turned away or unplugged when not in use. As for the built in ones, anti-virus and enabling a firewall is a good start. Sticky tack might be a good second option. :lol:

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
Wow, that sounds really scary actually.

I have a built in webcam, thankfully I have anti-virus software, so I hope that it covers that.

Edit: I know have a sock hanging over my web cam, just in case this EVER happens. :lol:

Last edited:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Um, I'm in Boca Vista too, so I also know...even though I can't view the video from work. :(

Mine is also built in. I keep it closed when it's not on, but it's always on when I'm at home.