• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

BEWARE if you have FACEBOOK

CubsMascot

Registered Member
Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Doesn't make me look at it any different. They have been mining data from users for years. Reason I don't have FB and never will. Besides from what I have been reading about them my left leaning views would be okay but my conservative ones would probably get me time out or banned.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
There are so many websites that do the exact same thing as Facebook is doing. If I search in google, I get ads about it the next day or sooner. Buy something on amazon? Same thing. It's just the way the world is these days, you cannot avoid it.

Impaired

Registered Member
Being aware is your best option. Find out what they do and if you can live with it. Facebook I use to post photos and see photos of remote family members. I don't live there and don't put out much personal info

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
There are so many websites that do the exact same thing as Facebook is doing. If I search in google, I get ads about it the next day or sooner. Buy something on amazon? Same thing. It's just the way the world is these days, you cannot avoid it.
Very true, I see ads pop up all the time for things I looked at on Amazon.

CubsMascot

Registered Member
yeah paying attention definitely is key to internet use. i noticed recently that every exact thing i was looking at there it was somewhere else.
i kept thinking to myself how is this happening. i'm being spied. i guess our privacy will no longer be private.
maybe one day in the future computers will one day control us.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Doesn't make me look at it any different. They have been mining data from users for years. Reason I don't have FB and never will. Besides from what I have been reading about them my left leaning views would be okay but my conservative ones would probably get me time out or banned.
Well, define what conservative views of yours you think would get you banned. We don't always share the same political views but you're a level-headed woman so I seriously doubt it'd be that bad, given that I've got some conservative points of view as well.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, define what conservative views of yours you think would get you banned. We don't always share the same political views but you're a level-headed woman so I seriously doubt it'd be that bad, given that I've got some conservative points of view as well.
From what I've read here and there if you are pro-life, pro-gun or anti-illegal immigration and express your views that is enough to get someone time out or banned. Since I don't have FB I don't know for sure how much it would take and don't intend to find out.

10 times Facebook censored conservatives

How Facebook, Twitter silence conservative voices online

https://gizmodo.com/former-facebook-workers-we-routinely-suppressed-conser-1775461006

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.