Bettman Era

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by padd, Mar 5, 2008.

1. padd

padd Registered Member

I'll start this topic like this:
    Ever since Gary Bettman came into the league as commisioner nothing good has happened.
    Agree? Disagree?

Let this be a discusion about how, despite it's in one of it's best periods, the NHL can be much better.

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Bettman has been the worst thing that has ever happened to the league if you ask me (which you did thankyouverymuch). He's trying to run the NHL as if it were the NBA - trying to make it marketable to all of North America. It's not that popular of a sport in the US and there is nothing wrong with that. NOTHING. 30 teams is too many teams. The talent pool is diluted. There aren't enough fans to fill many of the arenas.

And don't even get me started on the lock out.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I agree with everything Jeanie has said. I used to be a big hockey fan, but not so much anymore. Not only do I not watch any games, but I don't even follow the league at all. There's too many teams, too many games, gay rule changes, etc.

4. padd

padd Registered Member

When it comes to schedules he fucked alot of things up.
    -scrapping regular season inter-confrence games
    -turning the playoff format from division seeds into conference seeds
    -renaming the landmark divisions and conferences with respect to the NBA's format- :shifteyes:
    -the instigator rule
    -when he was at the top of the NHL was the in it's boringest periods to watch, between 2000-2006 (oversized goalie pads and no scoring)
    -why is this faggot here? he knows nothing about hockey

5. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

isn't hockey attendance at all time highs?

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Betmman is a bad commish, I think he hasn't done anything in the NHL that is worth talking about. I have to agree with you Jeanie, when you say he's trying to make it like the NBA, hockey is extremly popular in Canada and not so much in the U.S but he still tries to get new franchises in the U.S instead of having new teams in Canada. I cannot wait till he steps down.

7. Millz

Again, isn't hockey attedance at an all time high? Does that not mean anything to anyone?

8. Babe_Ruth

The attendance is better, but hockey is still number four when you count the four major sports, there's a lot of empty arenas, even in Detroit, which is sad, because it's the best hockeytown in the United States. You also have teams that the Devils who keep winning every year, but get around 10,000 fans a game. The attendance is up, but hockey is still doing poorly in the United States. The Canadian teams are making the big bucks for the NHL.

9. Millz

ESPN - NHL Attendance Leaders - National Hockey League

Go there to see the attendance leaders in 2008. Detroit is in 8th place in the league averaging 18,702 people per game...that's almost a sell out per game. New Jersey is definitely disappointing at 23.

Something we should look at is Tampa Bay at #7. I hear people talk shit on the teams in warm weather climates like Florida but people come to the games anyways. The thing is, also, is that Tampa Bay is in last place or close to last place in the Eastern Conference yet people still come to the games. I think that's a telling stat.

10. Babe_Ruth

Trust me when I say this and you can probably ask Jeanie if you don't believe me. Not selling out every game is disapointing, don't get me wrong 18,000 is still a good crowd but with a team like Detroit you expect them to sell out every game. I have a hard time believing those stats. There's no way that the Leafs don't average a sell out every game, and I have a hard time believing that the Sens are above the Leafs in attendance.