Better neighbours: Christians or unbelievers?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by julio2, May 11, 2009.

1. julio2

julio2 Registered Member

Once upon a time a Christian lived next door to a non-Christian he tried hard to evangelize with no success, so he gave up and stopped talking to him.
    One day, the Christian’s house caught fire while he was away.
    If it had not been for the non-Christian’s quick action to call the fire people and help putting the fire out the Christian’s house would have not been spared.
    Moral: an unbeliever can be your most important friend!

2. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Replace non-Christian with muslim, taoist, pagan or any other religious belief, and you still have the same message.

3. julio2

julio2 Registered Member

Maybe I will agree with you, if you write the missing detail. I'll wait.

4. whateverdude_09

whateverdude_09 Registered Member

anyone could and probably would do that for another person, their religion does not have anything to do with it.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

[highlight] [Mod Post] [/highlight] :Maybe it's time to drive to the point of this thread. The OP doesn't show that it has any relevance to religion. If you think we're missing it, then enlighten us now. Otherwise this thread will be closed or moved to ST.

6. julio2

julio2 Registered Member

The point here is that if it were the unbeliever’s house that burned down, the believer instead of helping would say it was God’s punishment for resisting conversion!
    Apply that to other belligerent religions, too!

7. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Do you have any proof of this? Because I highly doubt that every single Christian in the world would just let someone's house burn to the ground simply because they're not a fellow Christian.

8. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

That is a big speculation and assumption. I am friends with several people of religious beliefs or faiths and we all coexist and look out for one another.

But I do know of so called Christians that are the way you describe and some Mormons too., but to say that all religions would turn their back on a fellow man in a situation because they are not the same faith is not entirely correct.

9. julio2

julio2 Registered Member

What I said in the “parable” is that the believer would not help BECAUSE he would take the fire as punishment for resisting “giving his heart to the Lord” or similar jargon! That’s what I suggested in the addendum.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Religion does not denote how good or bad a person is, THAT is the moral of the story. Faith tells you nothing about a person, it's their actions that paint their character and reveal their souls.

Sim likes this.