• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo 64 Beta 64

dDave

V.I.P.
Beta64 - Donkey Kong 64 - YouTube

I guess that the failure of the 64DD really ended up changing the course of the Nintendo 64, I had no idea DK64 was supposed to be a DD game originally. There's a whole bunch of inexplicable stuff in the beta that hints to some really cool stuff.

I still love this game all the same but man oh man, wouldn't it be interesting to get a chance to play the beta?

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I never played DK64 but I'm always fascinated by beta games. I never knew about Beta64 and I'm going to look into some more of their videos. Maybe we can make this a Beta64 thread?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Why are the graphics so much better in that video than they are on N64? What version is that they're showing with the good graphics?

And could the narrator have been more boring to listen to?

dDave

V.I.P.
It looks so much better because he's playing on an emulator instead of the actual demo cartridge. All the good N64 emulators I've seen do this. The shots from the actual game seem to go between N64 and Emulator.

The test room is apparently accessible in the final version of the game, I'll have to try that. The glitch must have been discovered since the last time I played the game because I have never heard of it until now.

Yes, we could make this into a Beta 64 thread Steve, not a bad idea at all.
------
Since we're turning this into a Beta 64 thread, I thought it would be appropriate to share the Super Mario 64 Beta.

I had no idea that this one existed, it's very interesting. Apparently it was originally going to be a 3D Mario game for SNES, thank heavens that didn't happen as it would have looked awful.

Gaming Mysteries: Super Mario 64 Beta (N64) - YouTube
That castle just looks really awesome.

Part 2 (concerning Luigi)
Gaming Mysteries: Luigi in Super Mario 64 (N64) - YouTube

Part 3 (Concerning Super Mario 64 2)
Gaming Mysteries: Super Mario 64 2 (N64) UNRELEASED - YouTube

Interesting that this game was planned at all to begin with. I'm sure quite a few of the things that were going to be in this game were seen in Super Mario 64 DS in some respect.

The failure of the Nintendo 64 DD led to the demise of Super Mario 64 2 as well, that seems to have happened with a bunch of titles. Tons of games like Zelda, Mario, and Donkey Kong were forced to adapt to work with the console without the DD. I can't help but wonder if the failure of the DD led to us never getting a Metroid 64 game.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
There's not that much interesting stuff in the Mario 64 beta. I guess it's kind of neat seeing the different graphics and textures and everything.

I can't help but wonder if the failure of the DD led to us never getting a Metroid 64 game.
I don't know, but I'm very thankful if it did. Who knows if we ever would have gotten Metroid Prime.

dDave

V.I.P.
A bit more of an expanded experience of the Mario 64 Beta. It shows a few shots that weren't in the other videos I posted.

Super Mario 64 Beta (1995) - YouTube

It's very interesting to me to see how significantly the gameplay has changed, the extremely basic textures, and how the overall level/overworld design has changed significantly. This is definitely something I would like to play for just a bit at some point, getting a look into the creation process for one of the greatest games of all time is just cool to me.

I don't know, but I'm very thankful if it did. Who knows if we ever would have gotten Metroid Prime.
Yeah, but we also missed out on Super Mario 64 2, Ura Zelda, Super Mario RPG 2, and possibly an expanded Donkey Kong 64.

You can see from this 64DD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that a Metroid game was never in the works. If the 64DD had been a success then it would have changed the gaming environment entirely, I'm sure. We may not have seen the next console from Nintendo for many years to come after that.

Metroid 64 - Wikitroid, the Metroid wiki - Metroid: Other M, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Prime 2, Super Metroid, and more

dDave

V.I.P.
Here's a video not only about the Jet Force Gemini Beta but also the whole development of the game. It's really interesting to watch the development vision of one of my favorite games go from start to finish with all of the changes that it received.

Jet Force Gemini: A Rare Retrospective (Part 6) - The Nostalgic Gamer - YouTube

Very interesting :)

Here's an hour long clip of random gameplay footage. If I may say so myself, I totally approve of the changes in character designs as well as the music (I adore the music).

One Hour of Jet Force Gemini 1999 Beta Gameplay - YouTube

dDave

V.I.P.
Here's 2.5 minutes of Super Mario Kart R (aka, Mario Kart 64 Beta)

Gaming Mysteries: Super Mario Kart R Beta (N64) - YouTube

There's a bit of cool stuff in there such as the differences in the physical appearance of the game. The sprites look different, the item boxes looked like they were much higher res when they were black based. There are also a lot of artwork differences and the hud looks different.

The biggest change though. Donkey Kong was literally not in the game originally. No, his slot was originally held by Toady. Now, given that Koopa and Donkey Kong were both in Super Mario Kart and Koopa was permenently not in the game, I don't think it's too far fetched to think that Nintendo may have actually not originally intended to include Donkey Kong in the game.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
The move to include DK was a good one. He was really fun to use. I love seeing the changes in the sprites from the beta up through the finished game. The backgrounds and environments ended up being a lot better in the finished version.