• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Best Year for Movies

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Limiting only to the this period: 2000-2020, which year had the most number or movies you liked or you found great. Name examples.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
So far 2000 is winning for me when I checked the first few years: Gladiator, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, X-men, In the Mood for Love, Unbreakable, Emperor's New Groove, Bring it On, Mission Impossible 2, Frequency, The Family Man, Meet the Parents, What Women Want, U571

dDave

V.I.P.
Lots of research for me as well. I love movies and have seen hundreds and hundreds of them.

Will post once I have a better idea of what my favorite year would be.

Konshentz

Konshentz
🥇 2010 - The Town, The Book of Eli, Inception, The Social Network, Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.
🥈 2015 - Mad Max: Fury Road, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Straight Outta Compton, Furious 7, Black Mass.
🥉 2009 - Zombieland, 500 Days of Summer, The Hangover, Moon, Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I took a few hours to go through each year and find my favorite films. I cut that down to my 5 favorite from each of year. Then I just chose the year that had the higher placed films on the top 100 list I made a year or so ago. There's a good chance that I missed some and my answer could immediately change. But for now, this is what I came up with. Fun thread.

dDave

V.I.P.
It came down to 2003 and 2012 as the best year in the last 20 years for movies. Some really incredible titles both years. I pick 2012 as the better of the two years overall, despite Return of the King (one of my all time favorite films) falling in 2003.

Second Place
-Return of the King
-Finding Nemo
-Mystic River
-The Last Samurai
-Pirates of the Caribbean
-The Italian Job
-X Men 2
-Matrix Reloaded
-matrix Revolutions
-Secondhand Lions
-Kill Bill (which I haven't seen but hear is great)

First Place
-Skyfall
-Avengers
-The Dark Knight Rises
-Lincoln
-The Hunger games
-The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
-Les Miserables (musical with Hugh Jackman, Russel Crowe, and Anne Hathaway)
-Prometheus
-The Amazing Spider Man (Andrew Garfield)
-Wreck It Ralph
-21 Jump Street
-The Impossible

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
It came down to 2003 and 2012 as the best year in the last 20 years for movies. Some really incredible titles both years. I pick 2012 as the better of the two years overall, despite Return of the King (one of my all time favorite films) falling in 2003.

Second Place
-Return of the King
-Finding Nemo
-Mystic River
-The Last Samurai
-Pirates of the Caribbean
-The Italian Job
-X Men 2
-Matrix Reloaded
-matrix Revolutions
-Secondhand Lions
-Kill Bill (which I haven't seen but hear is great)

First Place
-Skyfall
-Avengers
-The Dark Knight Rises
-Lincoln
-The Hunger games
-The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
-Les Miserables (musical with Hugh Jackman, Russel Crowe, and Anne Hathaway)
-Prometheus
-The Amazing Spider Man (Andrew Garfield)
-Wreck It Ralph
-21 Jump Street
-The Impossible
Secondhand Lions. I loved that movie. Wonder if I would still like it.

dDave

V.I.P.
Secondhand Lions. I loved that movie. Wonder if I would still like it.
I still like it as an adult. In a lot of ways, certain parts of the movie are in the same vein as The Princess Bride.

It's a total classic movie in my family, even my parents love it.