• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Best WWE Announcer, 2010

Who was the best WWE announcer in 2010?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is a category I actually added and isn't one we've voted on in the past. Quite simply, who was the best WWE announcer this year? I'm talking play-by-play and color commentators. I won't be counting the ring announcers or the backstage announcers.

Your choices are below...

Michael Cole: Lead play-by-play announcer on RAW, part time play-by-play announcer on Smackdown, one of the lead announcers on NXT for each season and announces on WWE Pay-Per-Views.

Jerry Lawler: Color commentator on RAW and announces on WWE Pay-Per-Views.

Josh Matthews: One of the lead announcers on WWE NXT and currently lead play-by-play announcer on Smackdown.

Matt Striker: Lead color commentator on Smackdown, host of WWE NXT and is a color commentator on WWE Pay-Per-Views.

Todd Grisham: Lead play-by-play commentator on Smackdown majority of the year.

Last edited:

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Even though I've been a Lawler fan since the Andy Kaufman days, I'm voting for Striker. He irks me in a lot of ways; winking at the camera, mispronouncing big words, playing up to the divas like a queen - but the guy is undeniably a natural in the booth. Watch how he refocuses his announce partners on the action when they go off on a tangent for too long. That's his teacher training at work, and it is a help. He also does his homework, no pun intended. He knows a shit ton about WWE history and the wrestling business in general. If I were to jump into a time machine and travel forward 20 or so years, I would expect to find Striker at the very top of the game and maybe even heading for HOF.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Striker got my vote, as well. Intelligent commentary that's passionate, good color contribution, and references to past wrestlers on a regular basis. What more could you ask for?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'll be that guy and vote for Michael Cole. He's been everywhere on WWE programming in 2010. The lead guy on RAW; replacing Jim Ross. The lead guy on WWE NXT. They even loved him so much they put him on Smackdown to pick up on Todd Grisham's slack. He's the lead announcer on PPV's.

Let's face it, he's the LEAD guy in the entire WWE when it comes to announcing. He's the one who has the most heat, he's the one who is front and center with the GM angle and quite frankly he's the only one with an angle out of all the announcers with Miz and Daniel Bryan.

I think he'll be even better in 2011 as his new heel character grows and evolves. I'm not taking anything away from Matt Striker because I'd put him in second place but Michael Cole was a man among boys this year.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's no way in hell Michael Cole is getting my vote, he's awful. Anyway, I have to vote for Striker as well. Like Tucker mentioned he knows his stuff, and he actually knows the real names of the wrestlers moves, unlike most announcers in the business today. He's been slacking during the last few months, but I thought he was on top of his game in the Summer. I really enjoying listening to him.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
You know what Striker reminds me of, A YELLING DYING DOG. Almost every time he says something on color, it sounds like he is yelling...

Cole: "And Cena with the clothesline..."
Striker: "CENA IS BATTLING BACK! CAN HE DEFEAT THE EVIL FORCES OF NEXUS AND KEEP HIMSELF FROM BEING UNDER THEIR CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!"
Lawler: "Wow, Barrett is down after that clothesline!"

Like that. I can't stand him. Especially his annoying hosting duties on NXT.

Matthews got my vote. He is the most improved and now in control of play-by-play on SD! He deserved it.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
If I picked Cole, Hell would of frozen over if he got my pick. I chose Striker as well because he sounds real, and knows all the moves. He also expresses how all the holds feel and makes rassling a little more realistic unlike Cole.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I've been a huge fan of Cole lately, but I've noticed a huge problem with his announcing (it's stuck out this year to me).

He calls moves that aren't finishers by the name of a given wrestler's finisher (calling Dolph Ziggler's running fameasser the zig-zag, for example...there are others). Then, when a wrestler will hit his/her finisher, he'll never remember the name. Maybe with John Cena, lol, but most of the time he just says "what a move by ______!" The lack of knowledge of details annoys me to no end.

I'm a fan of Cole's character right now, and the way it comes out in his announcing. Solid announcing skills, though? The nod goes elsewhere.

I'll be that guy and vote for Michael Cole. He's been everywhere on WWE programming in 2010. The lead guy on RAW; replacing Jim Ross. The lead guy on WWE NXT. They even loved him so much they put him on Smackdown to pick up on Todd Grisham's slack. He's the lead announcer on PPV's.

Let's face it, he's the LEAD guy in the entire WWE when it comes to announcing. He's the one who has the most heat, he's the one who is front and center with the GM angle and quite frankly he's the only one with an angle out of all the announcers with Miz and Daniel Bryan.

I think he'll be even better in 2011 as his new heel character grows and evolves. I'm not taking anything away from Matt Striker because I'd put him in second place but Michael Cole was a man among boys this year.
Don't worry your not the only one who's a Cole fan. I like him and like how their using him. I like he's a pain in the ass on purpose and will talk shit about anyone all the time.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
More power to anyone who gets to enjoy Cole's face time. I am not so fortunate as you. To me, the man is just one massive, massive dork. And I agree with Uni's observation that Cole fudges on the fly in his weak areas of history and tech, just where Blue-Eyed Boy is strongest.

Yes, I can laugh at his antics, but at the same time the hair is up on the nape of my neck. I think the main reason the laptop bit is working universally is that creative have learned to harness X-Pac heat with such skill that even the miniscule, wooden personality of a Michael Cole will be scavenged to help fuel the fire.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz Wrestling 6
Millz Wrestling 5
Millz Wrestling 10
Millz Wrestling 8
sunrise Wrestling 4